Microsoft Access has stopped working (1 Viewer)

vent

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:45
Hi everyone

So I ran into a problem I'm sure access 2010 is notorious for but every time I try to open this one form, I'm hit with this error. I don't remember doing anything out of the ordinary last time I worked on it but now I'm not able to do the "form view". I tried going into file > options > current database > compact on close but that hasn't helped. If anyone has information on what I can do, anything sort of feedback is much appreciated. Thank you!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 17:45
The form in question may be corrupted.

First check the database can be compiled in the VBE.
If not, fix the error(s) & try the form again

If still a problem, make a copy of the db (or the front end if split)
Then do one of the following:

1. If you have a previous backup, replace that form with an earlier version where it was OK
2. Decompile, compact, recompile, compact again

vent

Registered User.
Local time
To compile in VBA is this correct?

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdMakeMDEFile

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
No - open the VBE, then click Debug ...Compile
It will check the db for code errors

Do you know how to decompile?

vent

Registered User.
Local time
No - open the VBE, then click Debug ...Compile
It will check the db for code errors

Do you know how to decompile?

No sir, I'm still relatively new with access

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
OK - do the other things first, one step at a time.

REMEMBER to make a backup first

Decompiling removes all compile code from a database.
This can be useful to remove corrupted code (if you have any ...)

If you do need to decompile, you need to run Access in a decompile mode

A link that includes instructions on how to use:

http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAcces...Convention.asp

BTW if you did make an MDE or ACCDE file, all program code becomes inaccessible - the db becomes 'locked down'.
You DEFINITELY don't want to do that at the momoent

vent

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you sir, very much

I clicked on the link and I get "Bad Request"

vent

Registered User.
Local time
For step 3 Open up any module. Compile it via Debug, Compile.., then File, Save. I don't have any previous module created, but whenever I select Module or Class Module or Visual Basic, I keep getting the same Microsoft Access has stopped working...

Thoughts?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
For step 3 Open up any module. Compile it via Debug, Compile.., then File, Save. I don't have any previous module created, but whenever I select Module or Class Module or Visual Basic, I keep getting the same Microsoft Access has stopped working...

Thoughts?

In this context, module includes any form or report where code has been entered.

Ignore the first sentence and just click Debug, Compile ... etc
If it does compile, you won't see anything other than the Compile menu item will be 'greyed out'
If it doesn't compile, items with errors will be highlighted in turn.
Work through each to fix the errors until it does compile

jason_mag08

Local time
Today, 10:45
The form you are trying to access might got corrupted due to some reason. Have a look on: techniques-to-repair-ms-access-database.quora.com

Essential technique to repair Access database files. Various methods are defined here. So, You may try. Hope this will help you.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 18:45

Thoughts?
Try if you're able to import it into a new database.
If the database isn't to big (max. 2MB) if it is zipped, you could try posting it here.

Last edited:

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:45
Another thing that mimics corruption is calculations. If a form is based on a query or the form has a formula that generates an error, it may crash instead of indicating there is an error if the form is depending on that value when opening the form. such as null / zero.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:45
Good point, sxschech. For forms opened with either an OpenArgs argument that is malformed or a filtration specification that is malformed, you might expect to see bad behavior, particularly when DoCmd.SetWarning = False is in effect from some other code that launches the form in question.

vent

Registered User.
Local time
Just out of curiosity, I notice sometimes when I get this error, I constantly try to open VBA in various ways but this error won't let me into the VBA window. But after constantly closing then reopening the database, does Access automatically save a backup file of the database?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Depends, but yes there can be such a thing as an automatically generated backup.

Are you seeing one? If so, this speaks HIGHLY of corruption somewhere. Follow the advice given for recovering damaged databases to a fresh, empty database.

vent

Registered User.
Local time
Depends, but yes there can be such a thing as an automatically generated backup.

Are you seeing one? If so, this speaks HIGHLY of corruption somewhere. Follow the advice given for recovering damaged databases to a fresh, empty database.

Sorry, where is the instructions for recovering damaged database into an empty one? Thank you

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Search this forum for "recover corrupted database" as a topic. The SEARCH function is in the thin blue ribbon at the top of each page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom