Need a Couple idMso Names (1 Viewer)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 16:54
I'm trying to modify the Ribbon for an app.

My employer has a VERY strict 'no installing anything' policy.

That means that it's turning out to be INCREDIBLY difficult to find idMso names for tabs and groups, as the single, solitary thing everyone who ever answers custom Ribbon questions points to is an .exe file available from Microsoft that installs something with a list of all necessary names. Thanks to the policy I mentioned, though, I am absolutely unable to use that tool.

Could someone PLEASE tell me the idMso names for the following groups in the Access ribbon:
  • Views (on the Home tab)
  • SharePoint Lists (on the External Data tab)
Here's the XML I'm using for the Ribbon. It basically just hides everything I don't want users doing. Everything works fine save for the references to 'Views' and 'SharePoint Lists'. (I've tried a number of permutations for each of those two names, but haven't been able to find the right ones.)

Code:
<customUI xmlns="[URL]http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui[/URL]">
  <ribbon startFromScratch="false">
    <tabs>
      <tab idMso="TabHome">
       <group idMso="GroupViews" visible="false" />
      </tab>
      <tab idMso="TabCreate" visible="false" />
      <tab idMso="TabExternalData">
       <group idMso="GroupImport" visible="false" />
       <group idMso="GroupCollectData" visible="false" />
       <group idMso="GroupSharePointLists" visible="false" />
      </tab>
      <tab idMso="TabDatabaseTools" visible="false" />
      <tab idMso="TabAddIns" visible="false" />
    </tabs>
  </ribbon>
</customUI>

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 21:54
Or direct from MS:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50745

That link is for 2016 but there are similar web pages for 2007/2010/2013.
Just do a search for Office System Document: Lists of Control IDs

Or in case you aren't aware the standard 'trick for finding out control names is to just hold your mouse over the relevant ribbon control for a couple of seconds

So Home...View is 'View'
External Data ... SharePoints Lists is 'Import SharePoint List'

Have you considered hiding all ribbons completely?
Much easier & very effective.

I do this in most of my commercial apps - the only ribbon users generally need is Print Preview when a report is open. So I show that ribbon when a report is open then hide the entire ribbon again when the report is closed.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Can't download them at work, but thanks anyway. :(

And I had tried the mouse hover. For whatever reason, it only provides me names for action buttons, not groups or tabs.

Also, View doesn't actually work - it's still visible even after changing 'GroupViews' to 'View' or 'GroupView'. Same with the SharePoint group. (Also, putting spaces into the SharePoint group name breaks the whole thing and all tabs and groups get restored.)

Yes, I considered hiding all the ribbons and building my own, but since I wanted to include the entire home tab (except for Views) and the export to excel group, hiding everything else seemed like it would be WAY easier and faster. (FYI, this ribbon will only be visible for certain user-visible queries that they want to review, then export to Excel. All they really need are the find group and the export group.) (Also, I have about 2 hours' experience with XML :p )

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 21:54
My suggestion if you want to build a ribbon only occasionally is to download a copy of a ribbon creator such as IMDB Ribbon Creator http://www.accessribbon.de/en/

A cut down version is available free but it allow up to 4 groups & 10 buttons per ribbon. If you need more, you have to buy it.

OK your employer won't allow you to download it but you can do so on your own PC. Good tutorials on the site as well

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Okay, a friend just pointed out to me that XML is case-sensitive, and that solved the SharePoint problem (it was actually 'GroupSharepointLists', not 'GroupSharePointLists').

Now to just figure out why GroupViews won't go away (at least until I can build my own from scratch).

Thanks, guys!

Last edited:

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
In case anyone is interested (or this pops up in a future search), the problem with the Views group wasn't the group name; the problem was that the TAB is named TabHomeAccess, not TabHome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom