Changing the column order in the datasheet portion of a split form (Access 2010) (1 Viewer)

R_J_Potter@msn.com

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:15
In MS Access 2007, I could easly move or resize the columns displaying in the datasheet portion of a Split form. That process does not work in Access 2010 after I save my Form. It goes back to the way it was.

What am I missing?

I just upgraded from Office 2007 to 2010 last month. :banghead:

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:15
So you mean after setting it it doesn't save the settings? Can we see a sample db?

R_J_Potter@msn.com

Registered User.
Local time
That's correct. It does not save the settings.
I'll have to create a sample database. My existing one is very large.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:15
To be honest I don't quite recall seeing those settings saved in older versions of Access but I have a hunch that it does (like you said).

I've just tried it in 2010 and no it doesn't get saved. I think you will need a table to save those settings in and recall them when the form loads.

R_J_Potter@msn.com

Registered User.
Local time
Using Access 2007, I've moved a lot of Columns, resize them, and hide them, they would save with the form.

What is the best method to report this to Microsoft?
Hopefully they can include an update in a future Access update.
I hate losing functionality when I upgrade a product.

TheTerminator

Never too old to learn.
Local time
Today, 21:15
This is a long shot but I have always had the same problem in Access 2007, I have never used Access 2010. I found the following workaround that seems to work for 2007.
1. Open the form in Form view (not design view).
2. Then open the VBA code view and change something (even if you just put in an extra blank line between code lines, or a comment line)
3. DON'T save from the VBA code window.
4. Go back to the running form and set size, column positions and column widths.
5. DON'T go back to design view.
6. Close the form and select 'Save' when the dialog box prompts to save changes to the form. (Note: Re-ordering columms and widths does not provoke the need to save the form, that's why the arbitary code changes.)
If you make any changes to the form in design view at a later stage, then you'll have to repeat the above process.

R_J_Potter@msn.com

Registered User.
Local time
Well, "The Terminator" Long Shot actually worked. Thanks

I'd still like to report the Issue to the Microsoft Access Development Team...

markzaal

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:15
This worked for me:

Basically it's an access 2010 bug:
One way around the bug:
If you open the list, move the columns into the correct order, right click a column heading and click unhide fields, then click close and save the form it should keep the order.

Just the normal way of moving columns around and saving the form does not always work (as it did in previous versions of access (like access 2007)).

markzaal

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:15
This worked for me:

One way around the bug:
If you open the list, move the columns into the correct order, right click a column heading and click unhide fields, then click close and save the form it should keep the order.

Just the normal way of moving columns around and saving the form does not always work (as it did in previous versions of access (like access 2007)).

ttomw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:15
This worked for me:

One way around the bug:

This workaround works well for saving a custom column order and column widths in datasheet. Thanks for sharing, Markzaal!:)

booo to MS for such a silly bug....:banghead:

bejaranoangel

Local time
This worked for me :D:

very nice tip...., worst of this is you're ending losing a lot of time for something so simple..
Incredible microsoft going backwards...:mad:

One way around the bug:

safa hikmat

Local time
hi guys I'm new here anyway.
i have same problem before here is the solution that worked with me
right click on the column you want to resize and select Field Width then change the column width and hit ok then Ctrl + S to save
hope this work for you
note : i have office access 2010

SteveFin

Local time
Today, 19:15
I solved by repositioning the columns, changing their width, clicking save, closing & re-opening form. Clunky, but the job's done. Shame problem is still there in Access 2016

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom