docmd.TransferDatabase acImport not working for ONE user (1 Viewer)

JohnnyB

Local time
Yesterday, 20:01
Hi. This one's a jaw scratcher. :banghead:
I support a database with about 20 users. It works fine for everyone except one person who was just given access to a new process that works fine for the other three special people who were granted the same access. For reasons beyond my control, this database has no linked tables. Instead, it copies tables from the shared backend to the users front end, after deleting those tables from the front end. It does this with a docmd.TransferDatabase acImport. That's what's not working for this person. His network mappings are the same as everyone else's. His access to the function is fine. He's able to do it using another computer. I was troubleshooting and could not do it on his, but could on mine. So the problem is local to his computer. His references all match up to mine and as I said, his drive mappings also match. I'm wondering if a re-install of MS Office would fix it, but that would be a pain. Any help would be appreciated.

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 18:01
How is docmd.TransferDatabase acImport failing? Any error or is it that just nothing happens. I suggest creating a sub routine in a module with just the docmd.TransferDatabase acImport and poke it with a stick. Can you get any error out of it by mistyping the source or destination. What happens if you change the source to a local database (put a small one on a thumb drive)? Can you link to the source database? Can you copy and paste the source database from the source to the local PC outside of Access?

Last edited:

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:01
I'd start off by going back to bare basics. That is, can the table be imported manually, not using code.

Then I'd step through the import process after removing any lines with
On Error Resume next

JohnnyB

Local time
Yesterday, 20:01
How is docmd.TransferDatabase acImport failing? Any error or is it that just nothing happens. I suggest creating a sub routine in a module with just the docmd.TransferDatabase acImport and poke it with a stick. Can you get any error out of it by mistyping the source or destination. What happens if you change the source to a local database (put a small one on a thumb drive)? Can you link to the source database? Can you copy and paste the source database from the source to the local PC outside of Access?

Hey Sneuberg, thanks for the ideas. It's failing very quietly. I stepped through the code and there were no errors. I had turned SetWarnings from False to True. I can link to the source database. I did that for the user for a temporary fix, even though it's a violation of the intent of the db (no linked tables, just copy them in). I commented out the code that deletes the tables (yes, tables. There are 6 tables that this is done for) from the FE and copies them back in from the BE. He's OK for now with that fix. My boss told me not to spend more time on it. If we roll out a new version of the FE, I'll have to go to the users desk and redo my temp fix. I'll try your suggestions to put the BE on his laptop and see if I can do the transfer that way. My guess is that I can because the db is capable of reading the BE with ADO. Also thinking that may be the way to go to do a permanent fix for this.

Cronk, good ideas from you too. I am able to import the tables manually with the wizard. Again, when I visit his desk after a general roll-out to all the users, I'll try your suggestion to step through after removing On Error Resume next.

Thanks again!

jb

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom