what's your most complex VBA code project? (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:35
After a while, I settled for "paragraph" comments at the beginning of any sequence. But if there was any crucial moment where an answer had been developed, I demanded that it get a special comment.

I also told my people that we would have a project "bible" - which we did - to tell us what we had agreed to do in any section, and the rule was that a design change that altered the description of the section (as opposed to bug fixes that didn't change intent) HAD to be reviewed by the group for understanding and agreement that it was (a) effective and (b) necessary or at least appropriate. Bug fixes, we could make and just document in code and in a patch history document.

In retrospect, I wasn't as nice to my team back then as I might have been. However, I stayed friends with all but one of them.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 02:35
the rule was that a design change that altered the description of the section (as opposed to bug fixes that didn't change intent) HAD to be reviewed by the group for understanding and agreement that it was (a) effective and (b) necessary or at least appropriate.
when i worked for rockwell collins (now collins aerospace), we had a review application written using DOS batch files and it didn't matter how small a code change was, we had to put a description in the application, print out the old code, the new code, a description of the change and why it was changed. that old and new code was then passed to every person on the team and they were required to review and sign off on it. if any part of the change was questioned by another team member, the developer who wrote it had to review the comments or questions and repeat the entire process all over again.

that company worked with critical software though: embedded systems that guided commercial airplanes, ran military equipment, etc... we also had numerous government documents for which there were development requirements we were bound by. that was the best job i ever had, but it was the worse at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom