sending text messages by email (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 09:59
I assume you can do this through all email clients. To send a text message to a USA phone number, simply type the area code followed by the 7 digit number with no spaces, hyphens or () parenthesis, then add "@" plus the phone carrier's domain, which can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateway#Email_clients

I have tested this with most of the carriers in the above list. Some carriers display the sender's phone number and others display the sender's email address. When I tested this I was sending the messages from a gmail account and my phone number and email address were in my google contacts, so that may be the reason why my phone number showed up in some of the messages instead of my email address. I would assume if you don't have your phone number stored in your email client, it would not show up in the message sent to the receiver.

I have attached a screenshot of how a text message looks when it is received by a phone with US Cellular as the carrier.

Attachments

• us cellular text message receipt.jpg
    us cellular text message receipt.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:59
Hi
Thanks for the tip.
For info, I moved this from the repository as its not a code solution. Also so its easier for others to reply.

In fact I'd seen that article a couple of years ago when developing a messaging feature in Access. However, I'm fairly sure the method doesn't work in the UK. That's why I developed a Twilio based solution for messaging. Would be very happy to be proved wrong however

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:59
Adam, thanks for that. It helps me understand a sequence of messages I got on my e-mail and my home phone. Someone apparently hacked AT&T to get account information and I got essentially an extortion letter in which someone spoofed my own account name as the sender. I ignored it. Allow me the dignity to not say what was claimed - but it certainly didn't happen and could not have happened since I don't have cameras on any computer. There are other reasons why it couldn't have happened either, but we'll leave it there.

Anyway, your note reminded me of the ability to send text to a phone by computer. Thank you for the reference link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom