Importing Data from MV Base (1 Viewer)

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 14:16
Has anyone heard of the Multivalue Database called mvBase?

I recently got an offer to build a DB for a client. I am quiet confident in doing this, although the old database they are using is actually MV Base (a multivalued database). I have not used this before, and finding help is quiet a horrid task. All I want is to export the data in the MV base file and then I can go ahead with my own design. This is seeming to be quiet an impossible task for me.

Can anyone please suggest any method through which I can extract/export the data to a simple CSV/Excel file?

CROSS Posted at MSDN : Importing Data from MV Base

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:16
Never heard of it but found this

It says

Development Tools

Development tools for mvBase help enhance your application whether updating your existing Pick/BASIC code or creating a graphical user interface using Visual Basic, C++, C#, or Java.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:16
I had the "happy" task not too long ago and a long LONG time ago to do simular projects for some obscure old database system (forgot the names) when actually researching it I found the format the database used was actually (secretly) the same as the old "trusty" DBase, DBF format, and I could simply link the tables using linked table wizard and access the data that way

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Never heard of it but found this
Thanks JD, I did go through the link. I find it a bit annoying that I am unable to actually export the data. I am trying to replace the software with Access/something similar. However to get this, it needs another purchase :rolleyes: If push comes to shove I would be able to say "I'm Sorry !", I cannot be bothered with dealing with the whole thing and then start creating a new DB Structure.
when actually researching it I found the format the database used was actually (secretly) the same as the old "trusty" DBase, DBF format, and I could simply link the tables using linked table wizard and access the data that way
namliam, I never thought about it like that. If memory serves me right, the last time I saw the "backup data" file it had an extension .000

I will have to go and give him a visit and see if I can do something, like linking.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:16
Paul,

Have you tried talking to the company directly? You could ask some questions re their database and the ability to export data to other packages....

You could look at the data via NotePad, TextPad etc and see if you can get enough to work with.

I hate to ask, but is there any documentation for:
a)mvbase itelf,
b) the application currently under review???

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Sorry JD, somehow I missed this thread. Well I tried linking the backup data file with Excel or Access, as expected, unrecogonized database format. I tried Notepad (++) it cannot understand it. I am running out of options.

The product is not under review, AFAIK. Although the documentation are not real easy to find, even if there are any all I could get is how MV Base is a better option blah blah blah.. Not really helpful. I have not contacted the vendor. That was the last thing on my mind. I might as well do that.Thanks for looking into this, really appreciate this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom