Accounts/Maths Problem - How will you solve this? (1 Viewer)

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:52
Already done the calculations pal.

its around 3.09 each day per person.

222.48 is split between the 4 of them and the remaining money is split between the 2 left.

oops sorry,,,,,,, took 30.4 month days instead of your 30. I thought you wanted not only to be fair but accurate.,,,,, My error.

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Today, 19:52
Its for the Month in question not every month :) - 30 days in the month in question not 30.4 :p - The only rounding I did was the 3.09 since you cant pay .33333333 of a penny :D

So I would proclaim I was considerably accurate :)

BlueIshDan

☠
Local time
Today, 15:52
I have not read the previous posts. BUT I do believe you could do it weekly and tally the cost to the end of User pay periods?

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:52
Its for the Month in question not every month :) - 30 days in the month in question not 30.4 :p - The only rounding I did was the 3.09 since you cant pay .33333333 of a penny :D

So I would proclaim I was considerably accurate :)

oh,,,,,one month or two..... is still 30.4.. if you consider 365 days year... they ask for the fair way. what more fairer than making the parties that left pay more. albeit , it is only a small amount but it the fairest way.

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:52
I used to rent my house to students and this is how I understood it...

The contract should dictate what to do. Typically joint tenancy or sole tenancy.

Under joint tenancy the tenants would have had to agree to let the others go and therefore become responsible for the shortfall.

Under sole tenancy (letting rooms) then each tenant only responsible for their rent.

There's also sole tenancy where one person is repsonsible but they may share the house and collect off others to pay the rent (efffectively sub letting). Obviously in this case the sole tenant is wholley responsible.

Without a contract you are on a sticky wicket as they could decide not to pay anything and you've got to somehow get rid of them.

Chris

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:52
The problem is to be resolved by the tenants. You are owed £ 370 pounds. If this were 1000 miles away, you would just want the 370. How they divide up -whatever algorithm they choose - is not really your issue, provided that you get your £ 370 (minus whatever you, out of the goodness of your heart being so compassionate, are willing to forego.)

My other feeling is that on a month to month set up, they are equally responsible for 1/4 of the monthly rent. If the remaining two, and the leaving two agree to another payment set up, so be it.

To make this more compassionately complex, suppose it wasn't the mother that died, but one of the renters -what would the payments be then? Now let's suppose it happened a: on the 2nd day of the month, or b: the 29th of the month. Would that change your expectations?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom