Death list (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 21:36
I don't plan on going past 70 years old - 3 years away, I've done most things I wanted to do in life and I don't want to get old and go senile and bed bound. So I've decided to do a list of stuff to organise before I end it.
Most things like the house and main bank accounts are in joint names, money is not a problem as we have plenty.
How does one go about organising ones own funeral?

Everything in my name will have to be changed to the wife's, like the car, I can sell my motorbikes.
Anyone got any more ideas? Has anyone done it already?

Col

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 17:36
I was told, hand write a will. Signed by 2 witnesses.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I think you are missing an important point. Anyone can die at any time so it is not possible to know if you or the wife is going to die first, hence we have certain rules in place whereby assets pass from husband to wife or vice versa that's my amateur unqualified understanding of it anyway! If you want someone to have something then don't wait until you die pass it on now. (BTW the motor bike looks nice...)

I believe that's the only way to be sure about it. In the unlikely event that you die together as a couple then I think that causes a few legal problems which could put a spanner in any of your well Thought Out works... But again I have no real knowledge just what I have picked up over the years which may or may not be the case do tend to change over time.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Colin, As someone who is over 70 I can assure you that senility and being bed-ridden is not an inevitable consequence. As one of your friends on this forum I hope this is just a temporary blip. We need you to keep the spirit of confrontation going here

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I think you are missing an important point. Anyone can die at any time so it is not possible to know if you or the wife is going to die first, hence we have certain rules in place whereby assets pass from husband to wife or vice versa that's my amateur unqualified understanding of it anyway! If you want someone to have something then don't wait until you die pass it on now. (BTW the motor bike looks nice...)

I believe that's the only way to be sure about it. In the unlikely event that you die together as a couple then I think that causes a few legal problems which could put a spanner in any of your well Thought Out works... But again I have no real knowledge just what I have picked up over the years which may or may not be the case do tend to change over time.

The will is done to cover whichever consequence. It's a matter of changing stuff to wife's name nearer the end time which will be in my 71st year, the list is just an aide memoirs.
I've had one heart attack, I keep smoking and eating fatty stuff but no luck with another hopefully fatal one as yet. If it does happen then that'll save me a trip to Beachy Head in my 71st year.

Col

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 16:36
The will is done to cover whichever consequence. It's a matter of changing stuff to wife's name nearer the end time which will be in my 71st year, the list is just an aide memoirs.
I've had one heart attack, I keep smoking and eating fatty stuff but no luck with another hopefully fatal one as yet. If it does happen then that'll save me a trip to Beachy Head in my 71st year.

Col

Oh, Col. Are you that unhappy? :( Or just stirring the pot?

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
My advice is - at almost 70 I'm guessing youre no longer worried about making a bit of a berk of yourself.

Join a salsa class, and have some fun. No matter if you have no talent for it at all. Or some such other thing outside your usual box.

Good luck Col.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Oh, Col. Are you that unhappy? :( Or just stirring the pot?

Not stirring Cindy, serious for once. All worked out.

Just tired, hate being a carer 24hrs. So I've got 3 years to organise everything then that's it.

Of course if I lived in the USA the odds are good that I would be shot by someone, but I might survive. So Beachy Head is a favourite spot for jumping, it's a 200 foot drop onto rocks, once you step off there's no turning back.

Col

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Colin, I know this goes against your belief that the US is the most violent, decadent, crime- and violence-ridden hellhole to ever exist, with a quality of life and level of violence worse even than Thunderdome, but the fact is that even here, there are only approximately 33 gunshot injuries per 100,000 people in any given year, only 10.32 people per 100,000 (or 0.01% of the population) actually die as a result of firearm violence each year, which works out to a little above 1% of ALL deaths each year.

So no, the odds are NOT good that you'd be shot just by living in the US. Hell, I've spent half my adult life living in Flint, Michigan and currently work in Detroit, both of which have held the title of 'Murder Capital of the US', and even despite my abrasive personality, I've not been shot once.

And hell, maybe you'd even get the psychiatric help you so obviously need.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
And hell, maybe you'd even get the psychiatric help you so obviously need.

Psychiatric help? Why do I need that? I have made a rational decision not to be reliant on other people and ruin their life or drain the national purse.
I've been a 24hr carer for 'er indoors for over 20years. It's ruined my life and there's no way I want that on others. I've done what I wanted in life. Now it's nearing the end I just have to tidy things up within 3 years.

If more people thought like that there wouldn't be such a drain on the NHS by wasting money keeping no-hopers alive who serve no useful purpose.

Oh, and if 'er indoors is still alive she will be well cared for, I have investigated that.

Why do blinkered people think that if someone wants to "terminate", then they need psychiatric help?

Col

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
So Beachy Head is a favourite spot for jumping, it's a 200 foot drop onto rocks, once you step off there's no turning back.

Well I'm sure, from reading some of the threads you have "participated" in this forum, you would have NO shortage of volunteers to stand at the ready to render a push if you happened to get cold feet...

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:36
. So Beachy Head is a favourite spot for jumping, it's a 200 foot drop onto rocks, once you step off there's no turning back.

Have you any consideration for the unfortunate person who happens upon your body? Or those who have to retrieve it?

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Have you any consideration for the unfortunate person who happens upon your body? Or those who have to retrieve it?

He doesn't even have any consideration for his wife. Do you honestly expect him to give a flying rat's ass about a total stranger?

Seriously, the dude needs help.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
It is quite clear that Colin who has looked after his ill wife for many years is suffering from depression. This not the first time he has posted about committing suicide. In previous posts he said he would do it after she died. So I think it is a little unfair to accuse him of having no consideration for her. It takes a a superhuman amount of compassion and fortitude to care for someone you love with a degenerative disease for many years without from time to time giving way to depression. In that situation I know I would from time to time kick out against the sheer injustice of it so I would ask everyone to show some compassion to Colin.

I would also like to thank those who control this forum for showing so much tolerance to Colin in some of his rants.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Col.

I don't know if you are still reading posts, but I hope you are able to feel in better spirits in due course. I rarely visit the water cooler but a number of FM's have expressed concern about your well being.

In any event, I don't think you ought to worry about minor administration details for those you leave behind. As long as your family know where everything is, they will work everything out.

I have no doubt their main concern, and ours as well, would be to help you get through things, and put these sort of thoughts behind you.

And good gracious, I hope 70 isn't old. I should think quite a few of us are racing up to that breakpoint as well.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom