Happy Thanksgiving (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 15:14
To all the American members on this forum, I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving and that you find many things to be thankful for.

As far as the other cultures represented, have a great Thursday and raise a glass Just for GP!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:14
Happy Thanksgiving/Thursday!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:14
Gent, may all your gobbling be based on turkey, and I don't mean Istanbul.

Tomorrow we will have a crew estimated at 14, mostly friends and family. We have no plans more grandiose than a full plate leading to a full stomach. Some folks say they will leave early because they have other families to visit. If six people leave, we have eight recliners (counting sofas AND easy chairs) and that means everyone can stretch out. I suspect stereophonic snorting in our future.

This culinary largess may lead to a large ass, but we don't do this every day. And we DO invite people who would otherwise be alone on a holiday. And we have extended our invitations to folks on a fixed income who might not get a good meal more than once or twice a week, so we DO share.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 15:14
Going to try my hand at frying it this year. I have had it that way before but never fried the bird myself.

My neighbors already think I’m nuts because I grill and smoke in the cooler months. They will probably thing I’ve gone total looney-bin now. Doesn’t matter, I can’t understand a word they say, but the hand gestures are unmistakable!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:14
Deep-frying a turkey is great, but one HUGE warning: Dry the surface completely, even if it means using a towel. You do not want ANY water on the skin when you immerse the bird. If you drop a turkey with wet skin, you get steam instantly and the "bump" can send hot oil - 350 degr. F - all over the place.

A friend of mine from SPAWAR tried doing that once and set his dry lawn on fire. So he tried it again a year later at his daughter's college sorority house and set THEIR lawn on fire. His family now says he may not do any more turkey frying except on concrete and with a fire extinguisher handy. They are thankful that they HAVE a fire extinguisher. But Bill takes it all in stride. He just likes fried turkey.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 20:14
Happy thanksgiving to all my american friends here. Happy Thursday to everyone else

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:14
We had a fine Thanksgiving dinner (a day late due to visitation issues). We had seven people here (including myself and a grandson). The most people we have had in a number of years. A little cozy since we have small house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom