Incremental Numbering on a Continuous Form (1 Viewer)

Tim Bedborough

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:42
Hi all

I have a 'to do' list (on a continuous form) where I want to change the order of things periodically. I am using an incremental numbering system using 10, e.g. item 1 = 10, item 2 = 20 and so on. If I need to squeeze something in I can use e.g. 22 or I can manually renumber everything in 10s again.

What I would like to do is press a button so that all the list number items ([ListNo]) are renumbered starting from 10 and increasing in increments of 10.

I'm looping as per code below but it's definately not happy. I have had a 'Google' but I'm struggling. Can any one help please?

Thanks

Private Sub btnRenumber_Click()

Dim rs As Recordset
Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone

Dim Val As Integer
Val = Me.ListNo

If Not (rs.EOF And rs.BOF) Then
rs.MoveFirst
Val = 10

Do Until rs.EOF = True
Val = Val + 10
rs.MoveNext
Loop

End If

End Sub

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 09:42
hello Tim,

I'm not sure if you can grab anything from the this sample code, but it might be worth a look....

Attachments

• Reset-Autonumber-Start-Value.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 109

Tim Bedborough

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Adam, please can you point me to a web link or pdf. I think our firewall is being a bit keen.
Many thanks.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 09:42

Attachments

• Reset Autonumber Start Value.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Reset Autonumber Start Value.pdf
    12.9 KB · Views: 112

Tim Bedborough

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks DBGuy. 'Move up and down' method bugged out. Neither what I am after but thanks anyway. I'm looking for an automated way of doing all records rather than changing one at a time.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:42
Thanks DBGuy. 'Move up and down' method bugged out. Neither what I am after but thanks anyway. I'm looking for an automated way of doing all records rather than changing one at a time.
Hi Tim. I would appreciate if you could elaborate on what "bugged out," so I can fix it. It will help not only me, but also those who might download the demo in the future.

Also, I'm pretty sure you didn't mean you want to change "all" records; because if you had 10 records and inserted something in the middle, there's no need to change the first record up to the middle one, correct?

Regarding the demo, you are right that the move up/down approach does not apply to you, but the dropdown one should (and you can also enter a number instead). For example, here's the initial records order in the demo.

When I changed the sort order for Custodian from 6 to 4, records 4 through 8 got changed.

So, the demo might not be exactly what you wanted, but I was hoping it would help you get started in the right direction. Cheers!

Attachments

• 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    33.9 KB · Views: 308
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    33.4 KB · Views: 299

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
@theDBguy
I downloaded the demo, but it mentions MVF and Attachments?
It looks nothing like your pics? :confused:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
@theDBguy
I downloaded the demo, but it mentions MVF and Attachments?
It looks nothing like your pics? :confused:
Hmm, that's interesting. Did you click the link in post #5?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Hmm, that's interesting. Did you click the link in post #5?

Sorry, being a dumbass.:eek:
I inadvertently clicked on another of your demos when unzipped, that actually mentions MVFAttachments if I looked closer.:banghead::banghead:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Sorry, being a dumbass.:eek:
I inadvertently clicked on another of your demos when unzipped, that actually mentions MVFAttachments if I looked closer.:banghead::banghead:
No worries. I do the same thing some times. Cheers!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Your demo appears to do exactly what the o/p wanted.?

Worked for me anyway.

Thank you.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Your demo appears to do exactly what the o/p wanted.?

Worked for me anyway.

Thank you.
Hi. Thanks! I was into SharePoint at the time I made it, so that's where the inspiration came from.

Tim Bedborough

Registered User.
Local time
Hi DBGuy

I wasn't meaning to be dismissive, sorry if it came accross this way. These forums are very helpful and I'm grateful to anyone who posts a reply. Here is a smiley face to prove it.....:)

Just trying to go quicker than I should I think.

Bugs only because I didn't read the instructions....whoops. I needed to 'save as' to make it an editable database. It works OK.

I don't really want to have to change each individual item, more a case of making the first item in the list start with the number 10 and then everyone after it being incremental in 10s.

So if I changed list to:
10 Hi
20 Hows things
30 Fine thanks

and added in 25

I then wanted it all to be automated to renumber 10, 20, 30 and 40.

Thanks
:)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi DBGuy

I wasn't meaning to be dismissive, sorry if it came accross this way. These forums are very helpful and I'm grateful to anyone who posts a reply. Here is a smiley face to prove it.....:)

Just trying to go quicker than I should I think.

Bugs only because I didn't read the instructions....whoops. I needed to 'save as' to make it an editable database. It works OK.

I don't really want to have to change each individual item, more a case of making the first item in the list start with the number 10 and then everyone after it being incremental in 10s.

So if I changed list to:
10 Hi
20 Hows things
30 Fine thanks

and added in 25

I then wanted it all to be automated to renumber 10, 20, 30 and 40.

Thanks
:)
Hi. Understood and no worries. Although the demo only increments each record by 1, there's no stopping you from modifying it to make it update the records by 10. On the other hand, if you use this routine in your app, then does it really matter what the increment is, since it will automatically renumber the whole table anyway? Just a thought...

Tim Bedborough

Registered User.
Local time
DBGuy. OK thanks. End of day for me and brain hurts. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can make it do what I want.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
DBGuy. OK thanks. End of day for me and brain hurts. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can make it do what I want.
Okay, good luck. Please let us know how it goes. But also, please consider what I said about the need to modify the code. If you can live with using 1 as the increment, then you won't have to worry about figuring out how to modify the code. Cheers!

Tim Bedborough

Registered User.
Local time
Hi DBGuy.

Well I've had a go! Stuck with 1 as increment numbering. The code worked fine. Made the name changes with table and control/field bespoke to my database. Added the module (not had to bother with 'public ' routines but added it OK). Some of the code was beyond anything I've tackled to date but all made sense (once you know how!).

BUT

My fault as I didn't make it clear. I have 1 to many relationship with my to do lists. So I have a number of to do lists (no numbering, just filtered by date) then they have related tables and sub forms to deal with their own numbered lists (lists within lists). Your code works fine if you only have 1 'to do' list. I have loads all held in the same table so my SortOrder (ListNo) may have lots of duplicates. Using your code I have 'to do' lists with only a few items in them but the list number could be e.g. 1, 456, 734, 899 etc rather than 1,2,3,4. It's all sequential (low to high) and in order for every list I have, just not incremental. I've reverted to plan A and sticking with my manual sequential numbering in 10's.

Many thanks for your tip though. It works well for a single list and I learned something too.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. If you can post a sample copy of your db with test data, we might be able to help you figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom