Using Access on the Web (1 Viewer)

PaulA

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:48
Greetings, all--

I am wondering if it is possible to host an Access (2003) application on the web and what issues would present themselves.

I would even be interested in any links to where I could find some information. My initial research showed issues such as a multiuser datatbase being limited to one user at a time on the web. Is this so? I also have HIPAA issues.

My plan would be to try to have the application available via my company's website.

Any help or steering in the direction of information will be helpful.

Thanks!

Paul

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
I haven't heard that Access is single user. In most scenarios the connection to the database is opened a read of the data and then the connection is closed.

You could also look at Terminal Services.

I write web sites using ASP with Access database at the backend and the attractiveness of Terminal Services is that the basic FE / BE deployment can be used.

Simon

PaulA

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your response, Simon.

This would be a stand alone application, not a background database for the website (at least that's what I think with my lack of experience in this). This is all new to me so I don't know how it would work.

Thanks for the info you gave. I'll look into it.

Paul

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
You can't just dump a access database on a web - YET! The alternatives are:

A Cloud
PHP / ASP script languages
Terminal Server

If you company want a web based database then it need some investment. This transforms this type of project from nice to have to proper committment.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom