access 2007 crashes when running a report based on a query (1 Viewer)

Philip Jen

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:55
Hello all. I have DB in access 2007. I have a report that is uses a select query to generate the information for the report. It has been working great, But however lately like maybe with in the last month, it has been causeing Access 2007 to crash. I am having the same issue with another DB that uses the same information but that information is imported in. both Databases have worked great up until two months ago. Microsoft states that it is because of the program. I have tried to repair the DB by using the Repair option. I am confused as to why this would be happening. I can create a new report and it seems to work. but I do not want to change all the DB on everyone's computer just for this reason. Any thoughts or suggestion would be helpful. I also have two buttons on my report that utilize macros to close or print the report.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:55
I would review your data - if you haven't modified your report, query or macro then this is the only thing that will have changed.

Perhaps there are now null values which previously didn't exist for example.

Another thing to consider - you haven't said whether you have a frontend/backend setup - if not then the database may have become corrupted. Similarly if everone is running the same front end and not their own copy, the front end may have become corrupted - particularly if you are not running an accde.

When the db crashes - what errors do you get and/or what are the symtoms? Does it just freeze or just close for example.

Philip Jen

Registered User.
Local time
thanks For your Reply sir. The database I am using is mainly a stand alone database for purpose of traking Audit reviews. The one that everyone has access to is one that I Import information into from the main database. It is not linked to any tables from the main database. The purpose of the secondary database is only to relay information the counselors. They are accessing the same file there is no front end or back end. I am unsure how to do this. but I will figure it out. Also The counselors are using Access 2007 Runtime enviroment only. This allows them to view the information without being able to edit the information. The information is only allowed to be edited by myself the QA auditor. What they have is a Shortcut on their computers that open the file. So doing an Front and back end might help then I will try it. Also the reports that I was trying to open, I utilized a Macro Button that alllowed the counselor to print or close the report. the runtime I did not think would allow for them to close it. I removed both buttons and now it is working. But Also when someone has the file opened, then I cannot make any changes. So doing the Front end and Back end will work to solve this problem?

Philip Jen

Registered User.
Local time
Also To answer your question, the Database Just Freezes and does not respond to anything. But now that I have removed the macro button, it seems to work. Even on my full Version of access 2007.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
But Also when someone has the file opened, then I cannot make any changes. So doing the Front end and Back end will work to solve this problem?
Yes -
Once done and the front ends distributed, then you can work on changing the front end without being prevented by the other users. However if you need to make changes to the back end you do need to have the users close down their applications.

To create a frontend/backend there is a facility in Access in the database tools ribbon - called Access Database. Just follow the prompts and don't forget to make a backup before you start.

Philip Jen

Registered User.
Local time
thank you sir I will try this. Also I tried to operate the file with just the access runtime and it works great no problems. It only has problems when I work with it in the full access program. Any Ideas on that? I am confused about that. Anyways I will try what you suggested and see what happens. Again thanks for your time sir.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It only has problems when I work with it in the full access program
Sorry no, suggest split it and see if you still have a problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom