Access 2010 - Macro to throw a msgbox when saving a table (1 Viewer)

mkltmsck

Local time
Today, 14:57
Hi,

While I'm brand new to Access macros, I'm well versed in Excel macros. What I want to do seems simple enough, but it seems there's no event for saving a table, at least not in the cheesy Microsoft point-and-click to generate your code macro world that exists in Access 2010.

I literally just want to have a message box pop up when a specific Access table is saved. I've spent the better part of 3 hours now searching the web for something that will help me accomplish this. Is somebody here able to point me in the right direction/

Thanks,
Mike

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 22:57
There is no such thing as "saving a table" in Access. Explain a bit more of what you want.

mkltmsck

Local time
Today, 14:57
spikepl- thanks for your response.

I have an access database, and in that db I have a table. This table is subject to infrequent change, but when it changes, the changes could be wholesale- many rows modified, added, deleted in one shot.

What I want is a way to execute a macro that pops up a message box ONE TIME when all changes are complete. Unacceptable is a situation where the message box pops up for each modification to the table. The modifications are the typical ones: addition of new rows, deletion of existing rows, modification of existing rows.

It was my belief that "save table" did exist, because if I open the table, then I can right-click the table's tab and select "Save". One would assume that this "Save" action is at the table level (and not the database) since the "Close" action in that menu closes the table and not the database, but having read your response, I made some test changes to the table and simply closed it (as well as Access), and found that indeed, I'm not asked to save the table, yet my modifications are not lost.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 22:57
You'll need to forget a whole lot of things from Excel. The basic data entity in Access is a record. A record is in a record set. A record set is on most occasions directly tied to data on disk. A change in a record is change in data on disk.

SAve in Access can also mean design/layout changes and that is what you can "save" for a table.

DO yourself a favour and run through a tutorial on tables, queries and forms. And "database normalization" - google that because that is where most ex-Excel people tend to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Finally: the term "macro" is confusing, because in Excel, or Word, it means a chunk of VBA-code. In Access a macro is a stand-alone facility for non-programmers, or for programmers who need to do a web-enabled/emasculated Access db. So if you know how to code then stick with VBA coding in Access rather than macros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom