Help creating tables and relationships (1 Viewer)

tb12

Local time
Today, 09:53
Hey, I am kinda new to access and I am having trouble identifying the tables and creating relationships from based off these tables. It keeps coming up
"no unique index found " when trying to join the chauffeur booked to the booking table. Maybe I don't need one of these tables but I am not sure. I am trying to create the database so that when appointments come in I can fill out a form for customer bookings and that will automatically fill the tables out. any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1143[1].jpg
    IMG_1143[1].jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1144[1].jpg
    IMG_1144[1].jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 142

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:53
Perhaps you should put the Vehicle and Chauffeur into Bookings and then put all the vehicle information (Make) into Vehicles

Simon

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 11:53
I'm looking at just your relationship screenshot and this is what I see wrong:

1. Bad field/table names--spaces. You shouldn't use spaces in field names--nor any other non alpha-numeric characters. Instead of [Date of Inspection] you should use [InspectionDate], (also [Vehicles Inspections]->[VehicleInspections], [First Name]->[FirstName], [Card Number]-> [CardNumber], etc). It just makes writing query and code easier later on.

2. Bad field names--reserved words. You shouldn't name anything (fields, tables, queries, reports, etc) with reserved words (https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...-symbols-e33eb3a9-8baa-4335-9f57-da237c63eabe). This are system specific words that access uses and can screw up code/queries later on. That means [Date], [Time], [Year] shouldn't be field names. Instead you should prefix them for what Date/Time/Year they represent--kind of like how you have an [Expiry Date] field--you prefixed it with what that date represented.

3. Seperate fields for Date/Time. Booking has a Date field and a Time field, there is no need for that. The datatype of both those fields is probably a Date/Time--that means it can hold both of those and that's how you should do it. Instead of 2 fields to hold that data, you should simply have one.

4. [Make of Car] in wrong table. That field is an represents an attribute of the Vehicle itself, not of the rental. It should be in the Vehicles table.

5. [Booking Reference] used as foreign key, but its not the primary key of its table. [Vehicles Rented].[Booking ID] links to [Booking].[Booking Reference], but the [Date] and [Time] fields of [Booking] are the composite key of [Booking]. Instead you should make [Booking Reference] the primary key of [Booking].

tb12

Local time
Today, 09:53
okay thanks guys for your help its much appreciated... any idea if i missed any tables that are needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom