Moving my database to the next acadimic year (1 Viewer)

lpapad

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:08
New academic year has to be created by a simple add form to academic year table from the administrator.

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:08
Select the academic year in the main form, and filter all queries on the subsequent forms based on this selection.
I don't want to select the academic year manually, I would like the database to do it automatically after the previous academic end date is passed.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 16:08
For academic year, you can put in a data for "Beginning of year" and have all academic year information default based on this. For one app I am using I am adding this functionality for semesters with "Begin" and "End" dates for the semester. I check DATE() to see what semester I am in, and depending on what type of data I am updating I use either look at the begin date (to make sure the semester has already started) or end date (to make sure the semester has ended).

This allows me to add grade information for the semester that has ended AFTER the semester ends while updating student documents required for participation BEFORE the semester begins.

Do you also need to track semester or quarter in your database? Or are all classes one year long?

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
For academic year, you can put in a data for "Beginning of year" and have all academic year information default based on this. For one app I am using I am adding this functionality for semesters with "Begin" and "End" dates for the semester. I check DATE() to see what semester I am in, and depending on what type of data I am updating I use either look at the begin date (to make sure the semester has already started) or end date (to make sure the semester has ended).

This allows me to add grade information for the semester that has ended AFTER the semester ends while updating student documents required for participation BEFORE the semester begins.

Do you also need to track semester or quarter in your database? Or are all classes one year long?

Actually, I want to track all classes one year long. I am also thinking of your idea about using the begin and the end of the academic year, then check when database is opened if the current date is between the begin and the start of the academic year. However, how to transform this idea to code?. I am thinking of manipulating the academic table via vba code in a way that check the start-end, if the the current date is at the between, then return the academic year ID as an argument to open the whole forms. How and where to locate that code, and also how to pass the returned argument Year ID to the whole forms, all are confusing in how to start.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 16:08
If you do NOT have a break between academic years, then you only need the date the year starts.

The SQL would look something like this;
"Select top 1 from TblAcademicYear where DtStart <= #" Format(Date(),"MM/DD/YYYY" & # ORDER BY DtStart DESC"

If you DO have a break between, you will want one that uses the END date so you can update the year that has ended as well as pre-loading the upcoming year.

As I have to deal with semesters, I do the same but I only worry about semester (Fall18, Spring19, Fall19, ect..).

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
If you do NOT have a break between academic years, then you only need the date the year starts.

The SQL would look something like this;
"Select top 1 from TblAcademicYear where DtStart <= #" Format(Date(),"MM/DD/YYYY" & # ORDER BY DtStart DESC"

If you DO have a break between, you will want one that uses the END date so you can update the year that has ended as well as pre-loading the upcoming year.

As I have to deal with semesters, I do the same but I only worry about semester (Fall18, Spring19, Fall19, ect..).
How pass a value to the whole forms once the database is launched ?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:08
How pass a value to the whole forms once the database is launched ?

If your forms are bound, Access grabs data from the tables and loads it to a form, usually one record at a time, after which you navigate from record to record. However, if you meant something other than that, can you please be a bit more specific in what you meant?

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
If your forms are bound, Access grabs data from the tables and loads it to a form, usually one record at a time, after which you navigate from record to record. However, if you meant something other than that, can you please be a bit more specific in what you meant?
I want the new academic year starts automatically, not by user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom