Question How to link a Database to a website..?? (1 Viewer)

adirocks2009

Local time
Today, 14:09
Hello everyone..!!

I was just wondering how to connect a database to a website.

It has to be done in such a way that when we type in a name in the form of the website it checks under the very same heads in the database and the displays the results.

Eg.
I have a DB on my local disk and i have a few rows and columns filled in it...
now i have designed a webpage (again on local disk) that has a few form fields which will accept some specific details regarding to the fields in the DB.
Now I want such a method that will allow me to enter a few values like a persons name like "John" and all the John's in the DB will be displayed to me.

Can this be done...??

Please need urgent help...

Thanking You...

Aditya S.

DannySeager

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:09
I assume the web site is based on a database? WHat database type is it?

If it is access and the site is to remain local then it can be done (but I think you will suffer with the database being locked when people try and access the website). If the web site is to go remotly then really you need to move the database to a server based database (SQL Server, MySQL etc)... then create an ODBC connection to it and linked tables.

adirocks2009

Local time
Today, 14:09
well thats' not the problem...

There are like 6000+ entries in the database and i need to use both the website and the DB locally on 1 comp. and it will have no net access.

i want to use the website as a search engine to find and display results from the DB. thats all it needs to search the fields in the DB and display the corressponding results.

it would help if you could explain with an example.

Thank You.

DannySeager

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:09
I'm not sure I see the problem then... Is the web site working?

Have you tried creating a database and linking the tables from the website database to that database?

Can I asl why have you bothered for a web site? Why not just do it all in access?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom