Circular reference when using filed name in IIF query (1 Viewer)

Danick

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:38
I have two fields. One called "Mobile" and another called "PersonalCellular"

I'm trying to write a query where if the Mobile field is empty, it would be populated with the PersonalCellular field. So I tried this,

Code:
Mobile: IIf(IsNull([Mobile]),[PersonalCellular],[Mobile])

This results in an error message that reads, "Circular reference caused by alias 'Mobile' in query definition's SELECT list"
This is because the field Mobile is an actual field in the table. So I then tried this:

Code:
MobileX: IIf(IsNull([Mobile]),[PersonalCellular],[Mobile])

This works fine. But I don't want to see MobileX in the results since I'm exporting the query to a spreadsheet which needs to have a column called Mobile (not MobileX).
Is there any other way to be able to do this?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:38
Hi. The only way I could think of is to use another query on top of your current query, so you can change the name back.

Danick

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. The only way I could think of is to use another query on top of your current query, so you can change the name back.

I was hoping there was another way...:(

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 08:38
What happens if you qualify the field name with it's table name?

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Try:
Code:
SELECT YourTableName.Mobile AS M, YourTableName.PersonalCellular AS PC, IIf(IsNull([M]),[PC],[M]) AS Mobile
FROM YourTableName;

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Try:
Code:
SELECT YourTableName.Mobile AS M, YourTableName.PersonalCellular AS PC, IIf(IsNull([M]),[PC],[M]) AS Mobile
FROM YourTableName;
Very nice! Thanks!

Danick

Registered User.
Local time
Try:
Code:
FROM YourTableName;

Not sure where to put this. Can't get it to work in the query

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Your Welcome ;). Let's leave the cigars unlit until we've heard from the OP though :D
I tested it out of curiosity and it worked for me! However, I haven't really ran into any issues where I needed it, but at least now I won't have to worry if I do.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Not sure where to put this. Can't get it to work in the query

I'd be keen to know if just qualifying the fields in your IIF function would work as well?

Danick

Registered User.
Local time
What is the name of your table?

the table name is called tblContacts

Here is the full sql for that query. This is working fine when I changed the name to "Mobil" Just can't get it work as "Mobile" since it's the same name as in the table.

Code:
SELECT tblCompany.CompanyName AS Company, tblContacts.ContactName AS [Contact Name], tblContacts.Title AS [Contact Title], tblCompany.CompanyModel AS [Program Supported], tblContacts.[Contact Level], tblCompany.CompanyCountry AS Country, IIf([TelNoExt] Is Null,[TelNo],[TelNo] & "  x " & [TelNoExt]) AS [Office Telephone], IIf(IsNull([Mobile]),[PersonalCellular],[Mobile]) AS Mobil, tblContacts.FaxNo AS [Fax Number], tblContacts.email AS Email, IIf([Contact Level]="Executive Level","1",IIf([Contact Level]="Management Level","2",IIf([Contact Level]="Working Level","3",Null))) AS Sort, IIf([Contact Title] Like "*Owner*",7,IIf([Contact Title] Like "*CEO*",7,IIf([Contact Title] Like "President*",7,IIf([Contact Level]="Executive Level","6",IIf([Contact Level]="Management Level","5",IIf([Contact Level]="Working Level","4",3)))))) AS SortOrg, tblCompany.ICAO AS Code, tblCompany.RSO, tblContacts.DateUpdated AS [Rev Date], Null AS [Escalation Level]
FROM tblCompany LEFT JOIN tblContacts ON tblCompany.CompanyID = tblContacts.CompanyID
WHERE (((tblContacts.Flag)=Yes) AND ((tblCompany.CompanyActive)=Yes))
ORDER BY tblCompany.CompanyName, tblContacts.ContactName;

I know it's quite long, but I wan't sure how to separate just the part that I'm having problems with.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I'd be keen to know if just qualifying the fields in your IIF function would work as well?
Fair enough. I just gave it a try and didn't get any errors. However, if two columns with the same name are to be displayed, at least in my limited experience, one of them will show up empty.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
the table name is called tblContacts

Here is the full sql for that query. This is working fine when I changed the name to "Mobil" Just can't get it work as "Mobile" since it's the same name as in the table.

I know it's quite long, but I wan't sure how to separate just the part that I'm having problems with.
Okay, let's see if this works (based on Gasman's suggestion):
Code:
SELECT tblCompany.CompanyName AS Company, tblContacts.ContactName  AS [Contact Name], tblContacts.Title AS [Contact Title],  tblCompany.CompanyModel AS [Program Supported], tblContacts.[Contact  Level], tblCompany.CompanyCountry AS Country, IIf([TelNoExt] Is  Null,[TelNo],[TelNo] & "  x " & [TelNoExt]) AS [Office  Telephone], [b]IIf(IsNull(tblContacts.[Mobile]),tblContacts.[PersonalCellular],tblContacts.[Mobile]) AS Mobile[/b],  tblContacts.FaxNo AS [Fax Number], tblContacts.email AS Email,  IIf([Contact Level]="Executive Level","1",IIf([Contact  Level]="Management Level","2",IIf([Contact Level]="Working  Level","3",Null))) AS Sort, IIf([Contact Title] Like  "*Owner*",7,IIf([Contact Title] Like "*CEO*",7,IIf([Contact Title] Like  "President*",7,IIf([Contact Level]="Executive Level","6",IIf([Contact  Level]="Management Level","5",IIf([Contact Level]="Working  Level","4",3)))))) AS SortOrg, tblCompany.ICAO AS Code, tblCompany.RSO,  tblContacts.DateUpdated AS [Rev Date], Null AS [Escalation Level]
FROM tblCompany LEFT JOIN tblContacts ON tblCompany.CompanyID = tblContacts.CompanyID

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Can you post a copy of the db wit just the necessary table(s) and query

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
When I first started with Access, all my autonumber fields were called ID. :eek:

Then I found I could get past that by qualifying the field names.?

Bob has done much the same as I was thinking of, just in a different way.?

Curiousity now, that's all.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
When I first started with Access, all my autonumber fields were called ID. :eek:

Then I found I could get past that by qualifying the field names.?

Bob has done much the same as I was thinking of, just in a different way.?

Curiousity now, that's all.
Hi. But if you have the following:
Code:
SELECT ID, TableName.ID AS ID

FROM TableName
I am saying the second ID column will be empty.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Also try Bob's version
Auuming the phone numbers are in tblContacts

HTH
Code:
SELECT tblCompany.CompanyName AS Company, tblContacts.ContactName AS [Contact Name], tblContacts.Title AS [Contact Title], tblCompany.CompanyModel AS [Program Supported], tblContacts.[Contact Level], tblCompany.CompanyCountry AS Country, IIf([TelNoExt] Is Null,[TelNo],[TelNo] & "  x " & [TelNoExt]) AS [Office Telephone],tblContacts.Mobile as M, tblContacts.PersonalCellular AS PC, IIf(IsNull([M]),[PC],[M]) AS Mobile, tblContacts.FaxNo AS [Fax Number], tblContacts.email AS Email, IIf([Contact Level]="Executive Level","1",IIf([Contact Level]="Management Level","2",IIf([Contact Level]="Working Level","3",Null))) AS Sort, IIf([Contact Title] Like "*Owner*",7,IIf([Contact Title] Like "*CEO*",7,IIf([Contact Title] Like "President*",7,IIf([Contact Level]="Executive Level","6",IIf([Contact Level]="Management Level","5",IIf([Contact Level]="Working Level","4",3)))))) AS SortOrg, tblCompany.ICAO AS Code, tblCompany.RSO, tblContacts.DateUpdated AS [Rev Date], Null AS [Escalation Level]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom