How should I start this - Inspection Database (1 Viewer)

whqlmethis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:41
Hi I would like to create Inspection Checklist database. A form will be displayed with fields that the user can enter information. If what the user inputs is causing an item to fail and another form with more questions should popup to determine what failed.

My question is how would I go by creating this? I’m still new to the access world. Or can somebody point me in the right direction. I have taking the Access courses on Lynda.com but can’t wrap my head on how to create something like this.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 12:41
First read up on normalization (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization). That's the process of structuring your tables and fields--its the first and most important step.

Once you think you have a handle on that and want to start on your data, here's what you should do---create one big spreadsheet of sample data. Put columns at the top for each field you need and fill in fake data until you have covered every case.

Then, with that spreadsheet, normalize your data into tables in Access. Next, set up your Relationships in Access's relationship tool, take a screenshot and then post it here and we can help make sure you got it right.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:41
Start with your data, and perform some normalisation on it. If the data structure is wrong then everything else will get difficult later. Read up on it here, http://allenbrowne.com/binary/Access_Basics_Crystal_080220_Chapter_03.pdf - draw it all out on paper first , then if you are still not sure post up a picture or spreadsheet with your table ideas, field names and datatypes.
Also get some naming conventions in place and avoid putting spaces and other weird characters into any objects. (also covered in the link above)

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:41
Start with a description of what you are trying to automate. The database concepts of normalization, tables and relationships are very important, and, as others have said, get familiar with them. And once you have your "business and processes" identified, apply database concepts and build a model. Test the model.
If what you want to do is tested on paper, then you have a blueprint for your database development.

You could spend 45-60 minutes on a tutorial from RogersAccessLibrary that will lead you from a business description to a properly structured database. You have to work through the tutorial, but you will learn. Tutorials all contain solutions.
Tutorials:
Class Info system
Consolidated Widgets
Entity Relationship Diagramming

Good luck.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:41
The advice from Minty, Jdraw, and PLog includes discussions of normalization, so I won't beat that dead horse. The rules I always give to folks has to do with design choices. In essence, these rules must be understood.

1. If you can't do it on paper, you can't do it in Access. That is, you need to be able to draw out action diagrams or data transformation diagrams or SOMETHING that tells you what you want to do in a given circumstance. If you don't have a design document then you don't have anything that you can use to answer questions of original intent.

2. Access won't tell you anything you didn't tell it first. That is, Access is dumber than a box of rocks. It is a VERY basic tool. YOU know how to do inspection checklists. The trick, via rule 1, is know what goes into these checklists so that YOU can tell Access the right questions to ask. If you wanted a report that contained facts X, Y, and Z then you need to find a way to INPUT or DERIVE facts X, Y, and Z. This sometimes means you must work from desired results BACKWARDS to determine how get to point Z starting from original data entry.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 18:41
1. If you can't do it on paper, you can't do it in Access.

2. That is, Access is dumber than a box of rocks.

Very good advice and true of all computer programs. Think of computer programs as cogs. To design a whole application you have to know how every cog connects to every other cog.

whqlmethis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:41
Thanks for the info everyone.

I read that Wikipedia article and the chapter on Normalization Data that Minty posted. I still seem to be scratching my head understanding how I can start this. I will go back and re read the information posted here and try follow the tutorial on Jdraws post. Once I more comfortable with the information I'll post screenshots.

I did draw out a rough sketch of what I plan on implementing.

http://imgur.com/a/l6XMY

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 19:41
I suspect you are using a sample plan for detecting how many samples you've to take depending of the production size and maybe product type?
For that you also need one table (or two).
Sorry I don't like the name you've given the tables, (maybe because I associate it with something else). :eek:
I would call the "Product" table - (Production) "Lot", and the table "Checklist" - "Samples"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom