Relinking via DSN to SQL Server (1 Viewer)

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:26
Hi, I'm just starting to use Access 365 and a newly downloaded SQL Express. The LTM is confusing. My tables are all connected to a Prod server on a different machine, and I'd like to relink them to my test SQL Server. In the old LTM I'd select 'Prompt for new location', and I would browse for the DSN on my machine which points to my test SQL Server. But with the new LTM, I click the 'relink' button and I get a popup box allowing me to edit the connection string.

I've worked around this: Link one of the tables from the test SQL Server by doing an import via the connection wizard and DSN builder. Edit that table in the LTM to get the connection string. Click 'Relink' and enter the new connection string.

Is there a way to just refresh the tables after being prompted to browse for a DSN, like in the good old days?!

Thanks,

Jack

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:26
Personally, I would use code.
I find the relinking form rather confusing, and I don't want users to have to do anything like that anyway.

I store a table with the tablenames I want to link, and then just iterate the tables, and relink each one in code.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:26
Hi Jack. I can't comment on the new LTM because I don't have it yet. But, my guess why you're getting the Edit Link screen is probably because you were using a File DSN, which Access automatically converts into a DSN-less connection. I could be wrong, but that's my guess anyway.

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:26
Hmm, DBGuy, I think that must be it. I am indeed using a File DSN, and Access does convert that to a DSN-less connection, one of its cool attributes.
However, the *old* LTM prompts you to browse for a DSN when you relink (if you select 'Prompt for new location', converts it to a connection string, and then cleverly swaps out the old db for new in each table.connect.
The *new* LTM just shows you the connection string for editing, so you have to ferret around for a connection string yourself. Darn thang ain't a patch on the old 'un. Hmmph.
Thanks,
Jack

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:26
Hmm, DBGuy, I think that must be it. I am indeed using a File DSN, and Access does convert that to a DSN-less connection, one of its cool attributes.
However, the *old* LTM prompts you to browse for a DSN when you relink (if you select 'Prompt for new location', converts it to a connection string, and then cleverly swaps out the old db for new in each table.connect.
The *new* LTM just shows you the connection string for editing, so you have to ferret around for a connection string yourself. Darn thang ain't a patch on the old 'un. Hmmph.
Thanks,
Jack
Hi Jack. You might give this LTM add-in a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom