Chart Colours (1 Viewer)

PeteB

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:38
High Guys, I'm hoping you can help.

I've created a report and on that a pie chart which is showing exactly what I want except for the colours of the pie chart sectors.

There is no option to select the format tab in the chart settings pane (as suggested in the Help section) and although I can select the whole pie chart, I am unable to select components of the chart i.e. the sectors, title or legend, so am unable to change the colours on the chart.

Has the graphs functionality changed recently in Access?

I would appreciate some expert guidance.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. I haven't used the new chart feature, but I have used the old one before. If you can select chart colors before, I can't imagine you won't be able to now. They usually add feature instead of remove them. Can you post a sample copy of your db with the chart?

PeteB

Registered User.
Local time
Hi DB Guy

Thanks for reponse.

I would generally agree with your statement.

The functionality probably exists but the way you access it may have changed.

Previously, double clicking on the chart with the underkying report in design view allowed selection of the components on the chart i.e. sectors, title, legend, data labels etc.

Duoble clicking now does nothing at all.

I must be doing something wrong.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
So, are you able to post a sample/demo copy of your chart db for us to give it a try? Just wondering...

PeteB

Registered User.
Local time
I would need to strip the database first as it contains peoples' contact details, and I'm not sure how to do that quickly.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I would need to strip the database first as it contains peoples' contact details, and I'm not sure how to do that quickly.
Could you maybe create a new blank db and simply add one dummy table and one report with a chart on it? Just curious...

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I'll see what I can do.
I just gave it a quick try, and I was able to change the colors. Do you know how I can tell if I have the new or the old chart?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hmm, I might have the old chart on my copy of Access 2016 (MSI). Can you post a screenshot of your Ribbon where you click to add a chart? Thanks.

PeteB

Registered User.
Local time
JUst tried to send screen shot but I get message telling me my message is too long and not sure how to overcome.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
JUst tried to send screen shot but I get message telling me my message is too long and not sure how to overcome.
Hi. Here's what it looks like on my 2010 version.

And here's what it looks like on my 2016 version.

But according to this, I think I'm supposed to see this button for the new chart.

Which one do you see on your Access version?

Attachments

• 2010.PNG
    2010.PNG
    30.3 KB · Views: 816
  • 2016.png
    2016.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 845

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The latter (2016).
Do you mean the last image (from MS)? If so, sorry, I guess I can't help you because I don't have that. I'll have to check what I have at home, though, tonight and let you know then. It might still be useful if you could post a sample db, so others could give it a try.

PeteB

Registered User.
Local time
I've tried stripping a copy of the database, just leaving a couple of records but, in the procees, the chart becomes nonsense.

So, many thanks for your time and effort but I will pursue a solution through other channels.

Thanks again.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I've tried stripping a copy of the database, just leaving a couple of records but, in the procees, the chart becomes nonsense.

So, many thanks for your time and effort but I will pursue a solution through other channels.

Thanks again.
Okay. Good luck!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 21:38
Try randomising your data instead https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=306745
That should allow you to have sufficient data for the chart

For info the modern charts in A365 are created using the Insert Chart button.
The feature includes a wizard like sidebar - see attached screenshot

Traditional charts use the chart button in the Design Controls section and don't have a sidebar

Attachments

• ModernCharts.PNG
    ModernCharts.PNG
    71.3 KB · Views: 355

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Try randomising your data instead https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=306745
That should allow you to have sufficient data for the chart

For info the modern charts in A365 are created using the Insert Chart button.
The feature includes a wizard like sidebar - see attached screenshot

Traditional charts use the chart button in the Design Controls section and don't have a sidebar
Hi Colin. Thanks for the clarification. I forgot, is the new chart only available with O365 or 2019? I'm home now, and my 2016 (C2R) doesn't have it either.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 21:38
It would appear so from your comment assuming you've installed all available updates for A2016. Do you have the new LTM as they appeared around the same time earlier this year.

However, I never use modern charts.
Anyone with an earlier version including a significant number of my clients will just see an empty space where a modern chart should be. No error. Just a space.

apr pillai

AWF VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:08
This Article was published during July 2008 for Formatting PIE Chart using VBA Code. If nothing works give it a try: PIE Chart Object and VBA.

You will find links for other type of Graph Charts, with manual formatting and with Code as well, at the end of the Post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom