Append Query that can append to multiple tables (1 Viewer)

JuniorWoodchuck24

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:52
I'm having difficulties deciding on how to go about saving past information, but I believe an append query is the route to go. What I'm trying to do is once a project's information has been issued then the append query takes those line items from tbl1 and dumps them in tblRevA. So only the projects that have been rev'd up will be appended to the table. Now when tbl1 has info going from RevA to RevB it takes the info from tbl1 and appends the B status info to tblRevB. Was curious if there was a way to code criteria for a Rev Field in the Append Query to look at the Rev column and dump data based on the Rev it is.

Note: tbl1 will always have the most up to date information. the other Rev tables are for comparison so a report can be generated to show the changes made by comparing the different rev's

Trevor G

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:52
I'm having difficulties deciding on how to go about saving past information, but I believe an append query is the route to go. What I'm trying to do is once a project's information has been issued then the append query takes those line items from tbl1 and dumps them in tblRevA. So only the projects that have been rev'd up will be appended to the table. Now when tbl1 has info going from RevA to RevB it takes the info from tbl1 and appends the B status info to tblRevB. Was curious if there was a way to code criteria for a Rev Field in the Append Query to look at the Rev column and dump data based on the Rev it is.

Note: tbl1 will always have the most up to date information. the other Rev tables are for comparison so a report can be generated to show the changes made by comparing the different rev's

It sounds as though you need 2 append queries then you can append to both tables, use a macro run both at once and you can set the warnings to off if you don't want to see the warning box

NZArchie

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:52
Did you end up creating multiple append queries? If so, how do they link up? I have a single temporary table from a transfertext operation, and I want to be able to parse through it and select which rows I want to import.

I think I will need to use your solution, as the data from each row will be spread across multiple tables

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:52
you need two separate queries, although they may look very similar. When you design an append query you stipulate the table into which you want the data to append. so you can only append to one table at a time.

Here's a thought, though. If you really need the SAME data to update two different tables, then almost certainly you have a normalisation issue, and your table design could be improved.

[and i now note that this is an old thread!]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom