Access 2003 Table -> Outlook 2007 Distribution List (1 Viewer)

tristanojbacon

Local time
Today, 10:25
Hello,

I'm currently working on a database that will contain (amongst other things) contact details for GP Practices in the local area.
One thing we need is to maintain a distribution list of all the Practice Managers at the Practices/Surgeries. We currently use Outlook 2007, but use Access 2003.
At the moment, it's not too much of a challenge to export a CSV and create a distribution list from it, but because the rest of the office aren't as technologically savvy, I need to make the process as simple as possible, as well as creating a sort of automated system.

So far, I am able to click a button on the Dashboard (form), and a CSV of the table wil be exported to a location on our department's shared drive. That can then be imported into Outlook as individual contacts, then merged into a distribution list. For me, that's fine, but for my less savvy colleagues, this could cause confusion.

What I'd like to do is maintain the table in Access, with all the important details of each Manager. Then, whenever someone changes a record, it will automatically overwrite the exported CSV on the shared drive.
Ideally, Outlook would then automatically check the CSV for any changes on startup, and update the distribution list accordingly. However, I appreciate that the Outlook side would be better addressed in an Outlook-centric forum (unless we have an Outlook expert in our midst?)

For the temporary solution (exporting it myself and uploading it to Outlook) - here's my button code for the Query exporter (I'm only exporting the first name, second name and email for Managers from Practices that frequently refer patients to our hospital):
Code:
DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, , _
    "DistList - Practice Managers - Core Referring", "P:\PRIMARY CARE LIAISON\Practice Info\DistList-PracticeManagers.csv"

One thing I'd like to work out, is how to set it so that it will export to the drive that the database has been opened from. This is because some people have mapped this shared drive to different drive letters (not P, for example), and it would mess up lots of different files if I tried to set everyones drives to the same letter. Any suggestions?

(I've spent so long writing this, and coming to realisations and then editing bits out, that I've sort of forgotten what the overall question was. Hopefully it will come back to me!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom