Splited database query problem. (1 Viewer)

uhlik

Local time
Today, 15:16
My Access database is linked to Oracle and I use query to insert data to local table but also to display some corresponding data from Oracle in the continuous form.
It was very useful when inserting manually product indexes, allows to avoid mistakes and was a confirmation of product "Active" status.
It worked very similar to Excel's vlookup, so when user insert index, after Tab press it displays read only description and status in the next two columns.
After datbase split because of multiuser access we lost that funcionality.
Is there any way to restore it?

Regards,
Michał

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:16
In theory, if the split was performed correctly (meaning that the links are good), you should not really be able to tell from a session that you are in a split or a non-split database. I.e. the split should be transparent. From the front end, you ARE still the only user of the database (based on file locking and object locking considerations). It is only when you touch the back end that you face potential contention and locking.

That it is NOT transparent suggests that something is wrong with the way the split occurred. When you split, did the "local table" move to the back end? Does the front end retain the database link to ORACLE? Did you work to minimize lock exposure by either setting "Optimistic Locking" (where that is a consideration for front-end queries) or "MIN LOCKS" (which is an ORACLE consideration)?

uhlik

Local time
Today, 15:16
All the tables, local and 2 linked are in one file, the second file are Queries, Forms and Modules, it is not compiled yet.
The splitting ran smoothly, it's about 1,5k records so far. The Queries RecordLocks property was set to Edited Record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom