Split during developent or after? (1 Viewer)

constableparks

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:17
I am creating a database and have about a dozen tables, have a dozen forms, and another half dozen queries. I realized that I will need to split this database into FE/BE, but at what point in the process should I do it? Now or after I have finished creating all of the tables/forms/queries/reports?

I have more tables/forms/queries to create before I'm ready for any users. Does development slow down in a split database?

Probably should have asked this question before I started development... :eek:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:17
Not a big deal, but I'd split now. There are little things that may work with a local table but won't with a linked table (opening a recordset using the wrong arguments comes to mind). If you wait, just make sure you test thoroughly before releasing.

constableparks

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:17
Thanks Paul. How does the Compact and Repair work for split databases? Is it only performing action against the FE or BE or both?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Whichever you perform it from, it only performs the action against that one.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Happy to help!

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Just as a follow up for what has been posted, splitting early allows you as the developer to work on different modules (especially if you need to make different front ends for different positions) MUCH easier. This means instead of one file with potentially hundreds of procedures you won't be dealing with, you have smaller files that are much easier to maintain and debug.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:17
The single convenience of having one file you can share with users for early testing should not override the more important scenario of you testing. So I would split sooner rather than later and if I wanted to send off a copy to a user for testing, I would make a copy of the FE and convert all the linked tables to local (option on the right-click menu). That way you can continue on and the user testing won't interfere with your development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom