Import or link to data in an SQL Server database (1 Viewer)

chineloogbonna

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:55
I had this question in a previous post but I don't think I communicated it properly.

I have a database I've built for a company. I want to be able to upload the DB file that contains all the tables, then have the staff use the DB with the forms with the capability to update and change table data to the DB on the SQL Server.

I've been doing some research for a week or so and the below link is the only thing I've found that sort of sounds like what I am trying to do. However, I am not sure I understand this article completely. I believe it is saying I can link my tables from the DB on the SQL Server?

If some one would decipher this for me in novice terms, I'd greatly appreciate it.

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...database-a5a3b4eb-57b9-45a0-b732-77bc6089b84e

Thank you!:banghead:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:55
Hi. So what exactly did you build? Are you saying you have a single Access database file containing both the tables/data and the forms to change the data and now you want to share this db with multiple users that are possibly all over the world?

chineloogbonna

Registered User.
Local time
Haha...point made! LAN would be better.

I have another question if you don't mind? Would using SharePoint thru your internet provider have the same security issues?

Thanks

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:55
I have a database I've built for a company.

What was the specification/requirement for this database? Who would use the database?
Any special conditions re hardware/software....?

When you post with little or no context, it is difficult to provide any sort of focused response.

TheDBguy has asked for a little more info also.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:55
Haha...point made! LAN would be better.

I have another question if you don't mind? Would using SharePoint thru your internet provider have the same security issues?

Thanks
I would think they'll be the same depending on what you're referring to. SharePoint can be configured to allow or disallow anonymous login, so if your service provider doesn't allow it but your company does, then the service provider would be more secure, I would guess.

chineloogbonna

Registered User.
Local time
That makes sense. Thank you for the SharePonit info DBguy, it's been very helpful!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:55
If all the users are on your LAN, then you can link the Access app to the SQL Server tables directly. There is no need to use Sharepoint. I think we are not clear on what you have NOW and where you want to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom