Question CSV file trying to import on one line. (1 Viewer)

GODZILLA

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:10
Hello,

Has anyone come across this problem before?

I have recieved a .CSV file via SFTP (i have tryed importing in both ASCII & Binary mode) it opens in excel fine however when i try to import it to my database, access cant interpret either the carriage return or line feed.

It trys to import it all on one line. It shows shows an oblong where the line feed should be.

I had this problem before and asked the sender to change the mode in which they were transfering files to binary and this problem was solved. I have asked the new sender to change to binary and they have however they are still having the same problem.

Can anyone help.

I am using 2003 btw. Thanks

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:10
Is very well possible the file is originating from a UNIX system, they do not (by default) supply a Linefeed + Charage return, only one of the two (Linefeed I think)

Windows/access (think even excel, but I am not sure about that) need both. The mode of transfer shouldnt be a problem either way though.

GODZILLA

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:10
Is very well possible the file is originating from a UNIX system, they do not (by default) supply a Linefeed + Charage return, only one of the two (Linefeed I think)

Windows/access (think even excel, but I am not sure about that) need both. The mode of transfer shouldnt be a problem either way though.

This could be the reason. But im almost positive its a windows based system

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:10
what does it look like in notepad?

can you see separate lines there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom