Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 05-28-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
KenHigg

KenHigg has a spectacular aura about KenHigg has a spectacular aura about
Gaps in data

I am building a report that gives the user the option of going back a certain number of days that they would enter. Say they want to see all of data back to 1/1/2009. Or maybe go back to 4/1/2008. So what it would do is count the number of records for each month. Say Jan 08 may be 150, Feb 08 something like 125, etc. This is pretty simple using a totals query. Unless there are some months with no records. Using a totals query you end up with the entire month missing in the result. And this causes problem in the chart where I would like to see a '0' for that month.

So.... Is there a trick out there that I may not be aware of? The only way I can think of to do this is to create a temp table, populate it with period data, etc... ugh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ken

“You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over.”
KenHigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
DCrake
Remembered

DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Skype™ to DCrake
Re: Gaps in data

Could you not create a cross tab query from your summary and propogate the column headings using the In() statement. A common question asked here.

My only reservation with this approach is if the user selects a large date range. Maybe you could enforce a limit on the number of periods they could select.

I have a working solution going off line now but wil pick it up tomorrow.

David

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Home of Simple Software Solutions.

O/S Windows XP (SP3) & Windows 7 64bit
Access 2003 (version 11.0)
Access 2007 (version 12.0)

Remember when posting sample databases you will get a better response if it is pre Access 2007 - not all people have it installed.
DCrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
KenHigg

KenHigg has a spectacular aura about KenHigg has a spectacular aura about

Hum.... I'm not sure I follow. If you have a working example I'd love to see it. Just remember I need to hardwire it to a chart...

ken

“You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over.”
KenHigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
namliam
The Mailman - AWF VIP

namliam is a glorious beacon of light namliam is a glorious beacon of light namliam is a glorious beacon of light namliam is a glorious beacon of light namliam is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, dummy table... Only way to go

You should try making a table filled with values: 00... 31
From this using a couple of queries you can make very date from 01-01-2000 to 31-12-2031

Remember to use the scales (Bottom left) or the thumb (bottom right)

Always looking for new challenges (Amsterdam Area)
namliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
DCrake
Remembered

DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Skype™ to DCrake

Ken

Here is a stripped down demo of a employee database that the user wanted to analyse periods where there were gaps in the data. If you look at the frmReportMaker form you will see how I populate the combo boxes with all the available periods. This is monthly based but you could change it days, whatever.

It displays the results on a form in the way of a list box, but also has the additional functionality of exporting the data into a formatted Excel file.

To see this you will need to have the template in the same location as the mdb.
Attached Files
File Type: zip EmployeeWizardDemo.zip (102.3 KB, 55 views)

The Home of Simple Software Solutions.

O/S Windows XP (SP3) & Windows 7 64bit
Access 2003 (version 11.0)
Access 2007 (version 12.0)

Remember when posting sample databases you will get a better response if it is pre Access 2007 - not all people have it installed.
DCrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: