Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Tables

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 04:30 AM   #1
zyousafi
Newly Registered User

zyousafi is on a distinguished road
Multivalued Fields

I have been trying for the past several hours to get this work but for some reason I am not getting the same options that are shown on Microsoft Office's website (i.e. the tutorial) on multivalued fields. Supposedly, as per Microsoft, there is an option when you select "Lookup Column" in Datasheet View that asks you whether or not you want to store multiple values in that particular field; however I am using Microsoft Access 2007 and I am getting no such option. Are multivalued fields really this complicated/tricky? I am building a software for my HCM (i.e. that is HR to some of you) Department and when an employee can speak multiple languages the same needs to be marked and recorded in the system. How can I go about doing this?

zyousafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
boblarson
Smeghead

Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,579 Posts
boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold
Re: Multivalued Fields

I prefer to avoid multi-valued fields simply because they make it more difficult to work around than just having your own table which stores the values. Yes, it makes for a nice interface, but when you start needing to do things with the data it can become a pain.

When you use a multi-valued field you need to select that as the datatype. It then stores the data as a variant. Also, you really should avoid using the lookups directly at table level (outside of the multi-valued fields).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
boblarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,499 Times in 1,414 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold
Re: Multivalued Fields

You won't get the option if you are are using an mdb database.

I also agree wholeheartedly with Bob and most professional developers. Use a related table.

Not only are multivalue fields more difficult to query and particlarly hard to manage in code they are not available in any other database format. So when you eventually need to upsize to a server backend you would have to redesign tables forms and reports.

Moreover most HR databases are held on a server backend because Access simply does not support the sort of security expected for the privacy considerations of HR.

Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: