Thanks to you both for suggestions. At first tried using theDBguy's method. As the file I'm copying is going into a zip, I had to find modify code in order to tell me if the file is in the zip. I tested the function on its own and seemed to work,
then added a loop into the code between the function that adds the file to the zip and the message box saying that the file was added. something like this:
Do Until IsInZip(zipfilename, covsheet) = True
Not sure if in my test I got the file wrong or there was another issue, but it ended up in a never ending loop. Perhaps I need a method to check for the file but have it give up after a certain number of loops or does the loop need to be written differently.
In the meantime, I'll try out June7's approach.