Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > SQL Server

Old 04-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
basshead22
Newly Registered User

basshead22 is on a distinguished road
Sql server permissions using ad

Hello All,

Few Questions!!

I have a front end access database that has linked tables that reside in a SQL Server Database.

I have about 300 + users using the database at any given time.

I want to grant them access to the tables using an Active Directory group which they all reside in at the moment.

I know how to create a login for a group that is not the issue ... the issue or question is do i create the login at the database security level? or at the SQL Server Security level?

Issue/Question #2 What server role or roles can be used without having to give them full access (sysadmin, SA,)etc.....

Any help or guidance is much appreciated!!

basshead22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:06 AM   #2
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,629 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough
Re: Sql server permissions using ad

You can probably use one of two groups DataReader or DataWriter depending on what your needs are.

You can assign either of them in AD to a user group, and then assign that domain group to the required permission on the SQL server, no need to create individual logins, simply use AD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:20 AM   #3
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,378 Times in 2,186 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all

Make sure you are using Windows authentication. This should be straightforward.
https://codekabinett.com/rdumps.php?...ss-application

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #4
sonic8
Newly Registered User

sonic8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead22 View Post
I know how to create a login for a group that is not the issue ... the issue or question is do i create the login at the database security level? or at the SQL Server Security level?
I doesn't really matter. Just keep in mind that when viewing the Login, you'll see all Login properties/settings and only a subset of the database user properties/settings. Likewise in the DB, you'll see all DB User properties/settings and only a subset of the Login properties/settings.

You probably need both dialogs to configure all the Login and DB User settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead22 View Post

Issue/Question #2 What server role or roles can be used without having to give them full access (sysadmin, SA,)etc.....
None! (except public, which is mandatory anyway)

Server Roles are for admin users only. They do not all have "full access", but each of them has more permissions than you would assign to any user in a non-admin role.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: