Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Queries

Old 10-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #16
oakey66
Newly Registered User

oakey66 is on a distinguished road
Re: Query off of a SQL Server

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
I wonder if it's how the tables where linked in - sometimes when linking SQL tables it asks you to select the Unique ID / record field - if you don't I've seen some strange results...?
So I removed all links and just tried to search against the transactional data alone. I was still getting the same unfiltered revenue codes.

oakey66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:34 AM   #17
oakey66
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
You already posted the SQL of the non working code - surely you can post the SQL that worked on the Server? We don't need or want to see the data just the query that worked.
Oh sorry. I misunderstood. I thought you were asking for the results. I'd have to ask the DBA to provide it to me. I don't have SQL. Just access to the data warehouse.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #18
oakey66
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
Okay, this is a puzzler. What is the T-SQL that works for the DBA? I realize you can't post the db since the back end is SQL Server, but how about a screen shot of the results you're seeing?
Sorry for the delay folks. Here's the SQL Query:

Code:
SELECT        ENCOUNTER.MRNTreatHospitalAbbreviation, FINANCIALTRANSACTION.ServiceDate, FINANCIALTRANSACTION.PostingDateFormat, 
FINANCIALTRANSACTION.ActivityCode, FINANCIALTRANSACTION.ActivityCodeDescription, 
FINANCIALTRANSACTION.CPTCode, 
FINANCIALTRANSACTION.TransBillUnits,
FINANCIALTRANSACTION.Units, 
FINANCIALTRANSACTION.DetailTotalAmount, 
ENCOUNTER.PrimaryCarrierNameFreeText, FINANCIALTRANSACTION.RevenueCenterCode
FROM            ENCOUNTER INNER JOIN
                   FINANCIALTRANSACTION ON ENCOUNTER.AccountandFacility = FINANCIALTRANSACTION.AccountandFacility
WHERE        (FINANCIALTRANSACTION.PostingDateFormat >= '07/01/2015') AND (FINANCIALTRANSACTION.RevenueCenterCode = '30200')

Old 11-03-2015, 07:50 AM   #19
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,737 Times in 1,706 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough

That would indicate that the Revenue centre number is actually text not a number.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #20
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,110 Times in 4,042 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

Minty, that was stated at the outset.

Oakey, this is really bugging me. I note the join in the T-SQL is different, but you said even a straight query against the FINANCIALTRANSACTION table alone wasn't working, right? I've got a SQL Server table with a similar field, ie a text field that holds numbers. I query against it all the time using that field in the criteria; never had this problem. Can you confirm the data type on the Access side? Maybe it didn't translate correctly. Or try treating like a numeric field:

SELECT *
FROM FINANCIALTRANSACTION
WHERE FINANCIALTRANSACTION.PostingDateFormat>#07/01/2015# AND FINANCIALTRANSACTION.RevenueCenterCode=30200

pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #21
oakey66
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Minty, that was stated at the outset.

Oakey, this is really bugging me. I note the join in the T-SQL is different, but you said even a straight query against the FINANCIALTRANSACTION table alone wasn't working, right? I've got a SQL Server table with a similar field, ie a text field that holds numbers. I query against it all the time using that field in the criteria; never had this problem. Can you confirm the data type on the Access side? Maybe it didn't translate correctly. Or try treating like a numeric field:

SELECT *
FROM FINANCIALTRANSACTION
WHERE FINANCIALTRANSACTION.PostingDateFormat>#07/01/2015# AND FINANCIALTRANSACTION.RevenueCenterCode=30200
You're correct. I've tried various joins to no avail. On the Access side, the field is listed as a short text field. In the actual SQL database, it's listed as a varchar(50),not null) format. The data types are the same as I can tell.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #22
spikepl
Eledittingent Beliped

spikepl is a jewel in the rough spikepl is a jewel in the rough spikepl is a jewel in the rough

Extract the revenue center code from SQL and check the contents character by character. Sometimes weird stuff finds its way in, non-printable characters, trailing blanks ...

Also provable by using Like '%30200%' presumably

Don't tell us what did not happen.
Do you tell the mechanic about your car "it doesn't work" or vague stuff like:
I couldn't, No joy, To no avail, No go
, Incorrect, Wrong, Seems, Without success, It didn't let me, I/it failed.

Do tell us what did happen
:

I want this ... to happen, I attempted this ..., using this ... code and pressing these buttons, the system did this ... in response, and I got this ... error in this ... line.

Did it help? Pass it forward!

Joys of Access:

Last edited by spikepl; 11-03-2015 at 10:14 AM.
spikepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #23
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

I'm stumped. I don't think spike's suggestion will help, as you have the opposite problem, but can't hurt to try. I wish it was a db I could play with, because it's really bugging me.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #24
spikepl
Eledittingent Beliped

spikepl is a jewel in the rough spikepl is a jewel in the rough spikepl is a jewel in the rough

Perhaps that particular code in the data is not 30200 but 3O2OO or something like that. Check all characters.

:

I want this ... to happen, I attempted this ..., using this ... code and pressing these buttons, the system did this ... in response, and I got this ... error in this ... line.

Joys of Access:

Old 11-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #25
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

The problem is (unless I'm completely misunderstanding) that not only 30200 is returned, but 30201, 30202, etc as well. The criteria is being ignored.

Last edited by pbaldy; 11-03-2015 at 11:03 AM. Reason: fix goof
Old 11-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #26
spikepl
Eledittingent Beliped

OH. I thought only 30200 did not return but the others did. Again, check contents of the field in SQL and the contents of the criteria character by character, would be my advice.

:

Joys of Access:

Old 11-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #27
oakey66
Newly Registered User

Quote:
The problem is (unless I'm completely misunderstanding) is that not only 30200 is returned, but 30201, 30202, etc as well. The criteria is being ignored.
It's exactly this. The criteria is being ignored altogether.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #28
oakey66
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikepl View Post
OH. I thought only 30200 did not return but the others did. Again, check contents of the field in SQL and the contents of the criteria character by character, would be my advice.
But why would the query work in SQL but not in Access? I guess it's something related to how Access reads the database.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #29
spikepl
Eledittingent Beliped

It is not a question of "why" right now but "what". What gets across from Access to SQL correctly and what doesn't. You have plenty of stuff to try - strings, or perhaps strings after a date, or perhaps ... try simple queries and simple criteria to see what works and what doesn't. Once known, that would help to narrow-down the cause.

:

Joys of Access:

Old 11-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #30
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

I posted this to an MVP board. First question, have you tried just (no date criteria):

Where FINANCIALTRANSACTION.RevenueCenterCode="30200"

Tags
filter , odbc , query , sql

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: