Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 01-05-2019, 04:55 AM   #16
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough
Re: Combo Box Length Limit?

Jdraw - that's why I said 'that user' and not 'that woman'. This time the User From Hell just happens to be a woman. Last place I worked, it was a guy.

The comments are hand-written explanations of why this particular case was rejected by Medicare, and are required to be precisely what we were told for legal reasons. This mechanism is there so that when CMS provides us with a novel, they don't have to type it individually for a thousand or more different claims. The lookup portion is because the same reason might be provided for different people or claims after calls to CMS on different days.

TBQH, I'm far more likely to just remove the whole 'select previous comments' thing altogether and tell them to continue using copy and paste than I am to go against the express instructions of my department manager and completely rework this form from the ground up without authorization (from either users or management) the way people are suggesting here. What I'm most likely to do, however, is leave it alone and tell them to suck it up.

I spent an hour of work looking into determining if a fix was possible. It isn't, and the suggestions here not only would absolutely be rejected by a user who would turn the entire thing into a political clusterf*** of epic proportions, but implementing them would directly violate the manager's instructions that significant changes may only be performed after approval from users and management. I could have gotten away with making the box stop cutting off the text because that could be called a fix. I cannot get away with actually changing the UI without good reason, and this is not good enough reason, since they already have a workaround (they just copy and paste from the original comment).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:04 AM   #17
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

Sorry, guys, I'm grouchy and irritable this morning for some reason. (Moreso than normal.)

I do appreciate the suggestions, even though I can't implement them due to other concerns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #18
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
What's happening is that when a comment is over 255 characters in length, it's truncated at 255. The table contains the entire comment, no matter the size. The query behind the combobox passes the entire comment. The combobox itself, however, never shows more than 255 characters.
Would it be possible to use NVARCHAR(MAX) as your field size? I have never tried it because the goal is to be stingy on field size.

AccessBlaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #19
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

According to one of the links provided earlier, combo boxes just truncate text fields at 255, period.

Tags
combo box , combo box fields display

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: