Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Forms

Old 12-14-2018, 05:53 AM   #1
Frotoss
Newly Registered User

Frotoss is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Compile error in query-expression: AppLoadString([bw_tblBtnActions].[Description]

Hello everybody

I've build up an Acces database to make an inventory of products and services our department sels to other departments.

I have a couple of tables, query's, forms, reports and one module (RecordLocks = 2).

I wanted to add a button on one of the forms and i got the error:
"Compile error. in query-expression AppLoadString([bw_tblBtnActions].[Description]"

When I press 'ok' the wizard for making a button appears, but the example button is empty. When I try to choose another category, I get the same error.

Can anybody help me? I can't find anything on internet, blogs or books, but this forum has already helped me a lot! I recently found another user of this forum who had the same error. He changed his current references (VBA) but that doesn't work for me.

Kind regards
Frotoss

Last edited by Frotoss; 12-14-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Frotoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:43 AM   #2
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,707 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough
Re: Compile error in query-expression: AppLoadString([bw_tblBtnActions].[Description]

That looks like a system table it can't read.

Have you taken a back up (Do so if you haven't) and then try a compact and repair?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minty For This Useful Post:
Frotoss (12-16-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,014 Times in 2,741 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold
Re: Compile error in query-expression: AppLoadString([bw_tblBtnActions].[Description]

Application.AppLoadString is a hidden member of the Access library
This unfortunately means there is no help for that item and it is not officially supported. It also means it may not work in every version or be guaranteed to work in future versions
Although I've used several such hidden members, I've not used this one

A quick Google search for AppLoadString([bw_tblBtnActions].[Description] produced over 27000 hits including several forum answers such as that below
https://access-programmers.co.uk/for...d.php?t=177510

So you're far from alone in this exact problem - sounds like you're all using the same template or code!
Good luck

Website links:

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

"As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns the ones we don't know we don't know. It is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones" Donald Rumsfeld
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
Frotoss (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 11:21 PM   #4
Frotoss
Newly Registered User

Thank you very much for your help. @Minty, I already took a back-up before. When I tried to add a button in my back-up, the same error appeared. I also tried to compact and repair the database, but that also didn't work.

I guess I'll just start over and try to copy the content. But anyway, thanks for your help.

Have a nice day!
Old 12-17-2018, 12:38 AM   #5
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Have you searched for this item using Google or looked at the thread I linked?
I've no idea what this code does as I've never used it, but clearly others have and someone may have got it to work.

Perhaps it would also help if you gave the source of your code and explained its purpose.

Website links:

Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

"As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns the ones we don't know we don't know. It is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones" Donald Rumsfeld
Old 12-19-2018, 06:42 AM   #6
Frotoss
Newly Registered User

Hi everyone

I couldn't find the sollution for this error on the internet so I made a completely new database. I used the same tables, query's, tables and module (Recordlocks=2).

After a while I bumped into the same error. I didn't compile (VBA) the database yet, so I thought, I'll try and do that. I couldn't compile the datebase due to my Recordlocks. I deleted the module, closed my database, restarted it again.

After all that, I compiled my database (VBA) and it worked again! Now I can add buttons again.

Thank you very much for your help!

Merry christmas and a happy new year!
Old 12-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #7
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Glad you've found a fix if not an explanation.
Are you still using AppLoadString([bw_tblBtnActions].[Description] ?
If so can you tell me exactly what it does?

Website links:

Old 01-08-2019, 12:30 AM   #8
Frotoss
Newly Registered User

Isladogs,

I have no idea what AppLoadString([bw_tblBtnActions].[Description] exactly does. All I know is that without my recordlocks, I don't have this error anymore. I'm still using my database without recordlocks and everything works perfect.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:40 AM   #9
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Good to know. Good luck with the rest of your project

Website links:

Tags
button , button action , button error , form , query

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: