Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 09-28-2019, 06:16 AM   #16
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,560 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Re: Distractions, Distractions, Distractions

And of course I now feel like Bob Wheeler from "Night Court" due to the wonderful luck that wife's car has taken its last grocery trip. She pampered it for 13 years but the laundry list of things that need fixing now will amount to well over $3K, and the Kelly Blue Book value of the car isn't that high. So today I get to go car shopping. There are no clouds in the sky so I'm thinking I won't be hit by lightning when I go out. I'll just have to watch out for idiot drivers.

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #17
GinaWhipp
AWF VIP

GinaWhipp has a spectacular aura about GinaWhipp has a spectacular aura about

Hmm, well scientific fact, men are more likely to hit by lightening than women. So be careful out there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GinaWhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #18
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,670 Times in 3,538 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Hmm, well scientific fact, men are more likely to hit by lightening than women.
is that because men spend more time outside? Or are just more positive?

CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #19
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,019 Times in 2,746 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaWhipp View Post
Hmm, well scientific fact, men are more likely to hit by lightening than women. So be careful out there!
LOL
Thought it was just a throwaway remark but ratio of 6:1 apparently
https://weather.com/health/news/ligh...women-20130805
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...truck/25717095

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Website links:

I know that you know that we both know nothing
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:09 PM   #20
GinaWhipp
AWF VIP

GinaWhipp has a spectacular aura about GinaWhipp has a spectacular aura about

I have no idea as every few years there's ANOTHER study. I just know it's a fact from years ago. I forget which movie it was I was watching but when it was stated I then had to go verify and low and behold it was a fact. I attributed it a saying my Mom always used to say, 95% girls in the family... "Boys don't have enough sense to come in out of the rain. Don't be the boy, when it starts raining get in the house!"

GinaWhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:08 AM   #21
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,500 Times in 1,415 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Remember Roy Sullivan. He was struck by lightning at least seven times.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Sullivan
Galaxiom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #22
kevlray
Newly Registered User

kevlray will become famous soon enough

I need to update my computer (not sure how much of a machine I need). Mostly just some light word processing, picture editing and internet browsing (some streaming video from time to time). But I might have other priorities first. Our automatic ice maker on our 20+ year old refrigerator is starting to leak.

kevlray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #23
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

At least I have been able to move ahead to the part where I start reloading my games for me and my grandson. The tricky part here is that I have had them for so long that I forgot the tricks one has to play to get each one to behave. Thank goodness for the ability to look up "game xyz doesn't work on Windows 7."

I've looked for one thing that is crucial to some games but so far, no luck. I want an OpenGL but apparently they are tied to specific hardware and I have a system that must have had a special edition. So far, two attempts to get a downloaded OpenGL have failed even though I went to the web site and carefully selected the configuration. Oh, well, only two games so far are completely stymied.

Don't go looking for OpenGL, folks. I'm busy enough to not worry about it for now. I've still got a pot-load of games to load up, testing each one as I go. Even with a half-way decent backup, it is taking me quite a while to get things moving again on the games that I CAN get to work.

kevlray - understand completely. It ain't my ice-maker, it's a TV that will just have to die a little bit more before I decide it is time. But since I bought the wife a car, she probably won't object if I buy myself a TV.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #24
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,707 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough

Luckily I have no PC / laptop woes, however, my TV is giving me purple artefacts in the middle of the screen, and due to starting a new job next month I'm going to have to replace the old car with a more economical newer version...

(My i7 8 core PC has been consigned to the garage, as my laptop is a shed load quicker, and it has one of these fancy M.2 PCIe that is lightning fast.)

I now wonder what the 3rd thing might be...

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #25
kevlray
Newly Registered User

kevlray will become famous soon enough

I have a lot of things that I just cannot afford to fix (replace) right now. Unfortunately while we were on vacation my one daughter was going to sell my other daughters bicycle (she no longer uses it), But she got mixed up and sold my wife's ($400 two years ago) bicycle for $15. My wife didn't really like the bicycle, but would have liked to get more money for it.
kevlray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #26
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

And now another nail in the coffin - the new SSD just died. I am now so happy that I could just drop kick the unit somewhere - but that would not be productive. I am going to end up losing data no matter how I cut this now because my PST files from Outlook had some traffic and, because I wasn't finished reloading things, I ended up with no recent backup. If you folks don't see much of me it is because I am busy trying to recover from yet another disastrous result. I'm going to be a very unhappy camper for more than a few days. And I'm using my older beast to do things that I don't really want to do, but I have limited choices.

Frustration somehow seems like an inadequate word here.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:27 AM   #27
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

That nail gun keeps driving in the nails. The PC shop confirmed that the brand-new SSD died. I looked it up: SSDs fail during their warranty period at a rate of 0.3% overall, and apparently with not that much variance between brands. Further, this was supposed to be one of the reputable brands. My little old one-lung (two core) XP is doing its best but it is chugging along. My step-daughter suggested that I change from rotating disk to SSD, and I researched it. She uses SSDs at work and has never seen a failure. I used one for about 3 weeks and bang-zoom, dead unit. When I go see my doctor today, I'll ask him to check for snake-bite scars.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #28
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,026 Times in 1,973 Posts
jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck Doc. I have used a few SSDs without failure. I also follow an IT hardware guy on youtube who touts these "religiously". He opts for the higher end models, but reports he has never seen failure. I have seen him using Samsung, but also ADATA and even TeamGroup. He is now moving to M.2 drives because of exceptional speeds.
I recall a technician saying he had a failure when first introduced ~6-7 years ago --the only one I had heard of.
I realize it only has to fail once when it's your machine to get that awful feeling.

jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:50 AM   #29
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough

Minty,

I have to ask.

What use are you going to put it to in the garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
Luckily I have no PC / laptop woes, however, my TV is giving me purple artefacts in the middle of the screen, and due to starting a new job next month I'm going to have to replace the old car with a more economical newer version...

(My i7 8 core PC has been consigned to the garage, as my laptop is a shed load quicker, and it has one of these fancy M.2 PCIe that is lightning fast.)

I now wonder what the 3rd thing might be...

Please, please use code tag # when posting code snippets

Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:58 AM   #30
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,707 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
Minty,

I have to ask.

What use are you going to put it to in the garage?
Well, I wasn't sure tbh. Maybe use it for browsing the web when trying to murder some woodworking project, and I've left my phone in the house??

As it happens I purchased a newer car, and it can play MP3's off an SD card, so I dragged it back out of the garage, powered it back up, and copied 29Gb worth of old ripped CD MP3 tracks onto a new SD card, so I have about 4500 tracks available!

Not sure what to do with it now though. I kinda like the old thing. I actually like the slight fan noise. Think I'm getting old.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: