Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 05-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Mike_In_Ga

Mike_In_Ga is on a distinguished road
Is this ODBC Connection possible?

I am rather new to Access so please forgive if this question is simplistic. I have a new client for whom I am writing some queries for. The source Db is ISAM. I installed a USQL license, created a DSN, and pulled the data into Access via ODBC linked tables.

I only have time to go out to the client about once a month so while I am developing off-site what I did was use make table queries so I had the data on my local machine. The problem is there are some linked tables in the Db I now need where I did not create a "hard" table via make table query.

The Access Db resides on my local machine. The DSN is defined on my local machine. When I am at the client I connect to the network and the DSN works fine to open up the linked tables. I can connect to the client via remote desktop, however I have no idea how to get the DSN to work from my local machine while I am on their network via remote desktop.

Any ideas?

Mike_In_Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Banana
split with a cherry atop.

Banana is a name known to all Banana is a name known to all Banana is a name known to all Banana is a name known to all Banana is a name known to all Banana is a name known to all
You need to copy the DSN and place it on the client's machine. I never had to copy a DSN, instead preferring to use a DSN-less connection. Google this for a sample code.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Mike_In_Ga

Where do I put the DSN ont he clients machine? Access is not installed on the clients machine (they dont want to pay for the license)......sorry I should have been more clear......what I am trying to do is remote desktop into the client, run Access from my local machine and be able to get to the data on the clients machine using the DSN defined on my machine.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,110 Times in 4,042 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold
I think to get the DSN on your machine to work you would have to VPN into their network from your machine. If you connect with RDP, you are basically connecting to a machine that is on the network, not on the network yourself. In that scenario you could connect on that machine and create your tables, then transfer them to your PC via email or file transfer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Mike_In_Ga

Thaks Pbaldy....thats the issue I am having b/c the machine I connect to via RDP doesnt have MS Access installed, so there is no way for me to connect to the Db. Alsa, if the ERP was on SQL I could get to it but since it ISAM the only way I can connect is via Access. I thought there might be a way for the DSN on my local machine to "jump" onto the network via the RDP connection but it looks like I am SOL and have to drive down there.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,110 Times in 4,042 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold
If you can VPN into their network, you should be able to get the DSN to work remotely. I have remote users that VPN into our network and run Access programs connected to SQL Server.

pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
Mike_In_Ga

Well, to do that I'd have to bust into Routing and Remote Access. It is already configured and I'd have to disable it first in order to set up incoming VPN on the server. Thier OS is Small Business Server. This is far outside my expertise. Im a BI guy that is doing a one off Access project. Having me go through the guts of SBS is an accident waiting to happen!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: