Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
akt01
Newly Registered User

akt01
Question Microsoft Works Database v. Microsoft Access

Hello. I use Access at work, and I would like to use it at home for a personal project, but it costs about $400. I am thinking about buying Microsoft Works, because it comes with a Database, and it is only $40. However, I am not sure it has the features I want - basic tables, forms and reports.

Iíve searched online for a comparison of Works Database to Access. The only hint Iíve gotten is that Access can handle more data.

Can anyone tell me the differences between Works and Access. Has any one seen a comparison chart outlining the differences.

thanks

akt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo
Re: Microsoft Works Database v. Microsoft Access

>>>Can anyone tell me the differences between Works and Access.<<<

Sorry can't help you there, however I thought I should mention that if you want a cheap database, then have a look at the one that comes with open office. Haven't used it myself but I understand it's supposed to be quite powerful.
-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
Mike375
Newly Registered User

Mike375 will become famous soon enough Mike375 will become famous soon enough

Here is simpe way to answer your question.

Think of a couple of problems you might want to solve in Access. The list as you know is long.

Now search on Google for some answers that involve Works or the DB FileMaker etc.

The point being that if the other DBs are even better than Access it will be difficult in the extreme to produce the results that can be actually produced with Access.

Mike375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,027 Times in 993 Posts
gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all

i think the works dbs is more of a single table database, and nothing like as useful as access

just checked my A2007 version, and you can use the upgrade if you have any msoffice suite, or certain ms-works suites - a lot less than 400
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,592 Times in 1,512 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

If you already have a licensed version of Office, I think you can add Access for about $125.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
MSAccessRookie
AWF VIP

MSAccessRookie is a jewel in the rough MSAccessRookie is a jewel in the rough MSAccessRookie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hartman View Post
If you already have a licensed version of Office, I think you can add Access for about $125.
Around here, we can get the MS Office Student Pack (3 licences) for $119 or less. The Full Office Suite is around $200. They are also available on EBay (new) for a little less than that, as well as (used) for a lot less than that. My company has bought new ones that way, but as far as I am aware, they have never bought used ones.

This forum is about taking the next step (or perhaps the next two steps) toward becoming a better Access programmer, and the AWF Forum Members will help you on your journey.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MSAccessRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,592 Times in 1,512 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

I'm pretty sure that the Student version does not include Access and I would be very wary of sites that sell MS products for large discounts. I would be surprised if you saw even $20/$30 differences.

I haven't had to buy retail for years because I have an Action Pack subscription so I'm not sure what the current prices are.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
boblarson
Smeghead

Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,579 Posts
boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold

And, the Home/Student edition or even Academic versions are not legal to be used in a business.

boblarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
MSAccessRookie
AWF VIP

MSAccessRookie is a jewel in the rough MSAccessRookie is a jewel in the rough MSAccessRookie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hartman View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Student version does not include Access and I would be very wary of sites that sell MS products for large discounts. I would be surprised if you saw even $20/$30 differences.

I haven't had to buy retail for years because I have an Action Pack subscription so I'm not sure what the current prices are.
PAT:

The Student Pack that I bought for my family has the following Office Tools:
  1. MS Office Toolbar
  2. MS Word 2007
  3. MS Excel 2007
  4. MS Access 2007
  5. MS PowerPoint 2007
  6. MS OneNote 2007
BOB:

I assumed that the poster was a student (or at least was not intending to sell his "personal project"), and that a student pack might be OK

This forum is about taking the next step (or perhaps the next two steps) toward becoming a better Access programmer, and the AWF Forum Members will help you on your journey.
MSAccessRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
Mike375
Newly Registered User

Mike375 will become famous soon enough Mike375 will become famous soon enough

Can Access still be purchased as a stand alone. When I first got MSOffice 95 it was the standard and a bit later (when I made some discoveries) I bought Access and from memory it was about a dozen floppy disks.
Mike375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
boblarson
Smeghead

Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,579 Posts
boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold

Yes, it can be bought as a stand alone program.

boblarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
works database

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: