Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Tables

Old 08-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
jneirinckx
Newly Registered User

jneirinckx is on a distinguished road
Link Table manually

Good morning,

Working on a DB for an organization with Frontend and the tables in backend on their network drive. Of course when I work on it at home the backend is in a different location. I overcome this by taking their copy which is linked correctly removing any objects that I changed and importing new ones from my updated DB. It would be simpler if I could take my updated DB and manually reconfigure the path . I can't seem to figure this out. Any ideas.

Thanks
Jerry

jneirinckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
boblarson
Smeghead

Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,579 Posts
boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold
Re: Link Table manually

Which version of Access are you using? You need to use LINKED TABLE MANAGER for changing the EXISTING links to the new path and for new tables that didn't exist before, you would use the IMPORT/LINK functionality in which you would choose LINK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
boblarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
ITguy1981
Newly Registered User

ITguy1981 is on a distinguished road

I'm currently using Access 2007. Under "Database Tools" there is an option "Linked Table Manager". Just check the boxes of the tables you need to link, I normally click the "always prompt for new location", and then click okay. You will then be prompted to browse to the location of your backend database file. You may want to take the checkmark out of the check table location prompt afterward. Hope this helps.

ITguy1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
boblarson
Smeghead

Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,579 Posts
boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITguy1981 View Post
I'm currently using Access 2007. Under "Database Tools" there is an option "Linked Table Manager". Just check the boxes of the tables you need to link, I normally click the "always prompt for new location", and then click okay. You will then be prompted to browse to the location of your backend database file. You may want to take the checkmark out of the check table location prompt afterward. Hope this helps.
Checking the Always prompt for new location is the norm. It doesn't need to be unchecked after doing so though. It won't be checked when you bring up Linked Table Manager again. Also, if you don't check that box it will just attempt to link to the existing location again, which wouldn't be what someone normally wants. Microsoft should have made the checked checkbox a default.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
boblarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
jneirinckx
Newly Registered User

jneirinckx is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your quick replies. The problem is I am working with this remotely and send updates via email so I don't have the option to use Linked Table manager. I can see there path to the backend but cant find anywhere to enter it manually. using Access 2007.

thanks again
jneirinckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
spikepl
Eledittingent Beliped

spikepl is a jewel in the rough spikepl is a jewel in the rough spikepl is a jewel in the rough

You can do it in code, to some known location of the backenend, like this: http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=227871

spikepl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: