Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Queries

Old 10-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
oakey66
Newly Registered User

oakey66 is on a distinguished road
Query off of a SQL Server

I'm pulling data off of a SQL server through an ODBC connection. My query is pulling in various transactional data for a hospital. All of the data comes out successfully in the query. I was also able to apply a filter by date. The issue I run into is trying to apply a filter based on a specific code (It is a number however, the field is in a short text format). Is there a particular way that I need to apply a filter for a short text field? I'm a complete novice so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

oakey66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,113 Times in 4,045 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold
Re: Query off of a SQL Server

What is the issue (error, etc)? What have you tried? I would expect to be able to put a form reference or "123" in the criteria in design view. If the field has a numeric data type, no quotes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pbaldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
oakey66
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
What is the issue (error, etc)? What have you tried? I would expect to be able to put a form reference or "123" in the criteria in design view. If the field has a numeric data type, no quotes.
I'm not getting any errors. It pulls in all of the data. When I apply a filter in the design view it pulls in all of the data as if I have not applied a filter. The field is actually listed as a Short Text field but the content is numeric. I spoke with our DBA and he's thinking that this is something related to the way that Access interacts with SQL. We reviewed the SQL code in the SQL view and it looks correct as well. We're not really sure why the data is not filtering correctly.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

I think the DBA is all wet, but I'll reserve judgement until we solve it. What is the SQL of your query?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
oakey66
Newly Registered User

Quote:
I think the DBA is all wet, but I'll reserve judgement until we solve it. What is the SQL of your query?
He was able to run the query against the SQL database directly using the virtually the same SQL code I had in Access and did so successfully.

When I used the Make Table button using my existing query it worked with no problems. It's only happening when I run the query directly. Here's the code:

SELECT ENCOUNTER.MRNTreatHospitalAbbreviation,
FINANCIALTRANSACTION.ServiceDate,
FINANCIALTRANSACTION.PostingDateFormat,
FINANCIALTRANSACTION.ActivityCode,
FINANCIALTRANSACTION.ActivityCodeDescription,
FINANCIALTRANSACTION.CPTCode,
FINANCIALTRANSACTION.TransBillUnits,
FINANCIALTRANSACTION.Units,
FINANCIALTRANSACTION.DetailTotalAmount,
FINANCIALTRANSACTION.AccountingPeriod,
FINANCIALTRANSACTION.AccountingYear, [Formulary List with NDCs and CDMs].[NDC Code], [Products NDC to GCN].GCN, FINANCIALTRANSACTION.RevenueCenterCode
FROM (ENCOUNTER RIGHT JOIN FINANCIALTRANSACTION ON ENCOUNTER.AccountandFacility = FINANCIALTRANSACTION.AccountandFacility) LEFT JOIN ([Formulary List with NDCs and CDMs] LEFT JOIN [Products NDC to GCN] ON [Formulary List with NDCs and CDMs].[NDC Code Text] = [Products NDC to GCN].NDC) ON FINANCIALTRANSACTION.ActivityCode = [Formulary List with NDCs and CDMs].[Charge Code]
WHERE (((FINANCIALTRANSACTION.PostingDateFormat)>"07/01/2015") AND ((FINANCIALTRANSACTION.RevenueCenterCode)="30200") );
Old 10-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

So you're saying codes other than 30200 are returned? I use Access queries against linked SQL Server tables all the time, and I don't think I've ever had that problem.

Is PostingDateFormat a text field or date/time? If date/time, the date should be surrounded by #, not ".

Old 10-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
oakey66
Newly Registered User

Quote:
So you're saying codes other than 30200 are returned? I use Access queries against linked SQL Server tables all the time, and I don't think I've ever had that problem.

Is PostingDateFormat a text field or date/time? If date/time, the date should be surrounded by #, not ".
Correct. I get all of the available codes and their relevant data in the query. Only when I Make Table, do I actually get the filtered data. Posting date is a date field. I adjusted the date field and it is working. It's only the revenue code that isn't being filtered appropriately.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #8
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Access and SQL Server work pretty well together, and like I said I don't think this has ever happened to me. I wonder if it's in the joins. Try this as a test:

SELECT *
FROM FINANCIALTRANSACTION
WHERE FINANCIALTRANSACTION.PostingDateFormat>#07/01/2015# AND FINANCIALTRANSACTION.RevenueCenterCode="30200"

Old 10-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #9
oakey66
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Access and SQL Server work pretty well together, and like I said I don't think this has ever happened to me. I wonder if it's in the joins. Try this as a test:

SELECT *
FROM FINANCIALTRANSACTION
WHERE FINANCIALTRANSACTION.PostingDateFormat>#07/01/2015# AND FINANCIALTRANSACTION.RevenueCenterCode="30200"
Still got all of the rev codes.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #10
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Okay, this is a puzzler. What is the T-SQL that works for the DBA? I realize you can't post the db since the back end is SQL Server, but how about a screen shot of the results you're seeing?

Old 10-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #11
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,707 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough

I wonder if it's how the tables where linked in - sometimes when linking SQL tables it asks you to select the Unique ID / record field - if you don't I've seen some strange results...?

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #12
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

It will do that if there's no primary key defined in SQL Server. The only result I've seen from not selecting one is a read-only table, but who knows?

Old 10-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,500 Times in 1,415 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The only result I've seen from not selecting one is a read-only table, but who knows?
I have seen other problems where a non-unique field is inappropriately selected as a key during the import. The data in all fields of a record with a particular value in the field selected as a key can be displayed for other records sharing that same "key", instead of what is actually in them.

I have also seen this lead to the appearance that the query criteria is not being applied. I think it is very likely that the problem is the inappropriate choice of the primary key during import.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:19 AM   #14
oakey66
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Okay, this is a puzzler. What is the T-SQL that works for the DBA? I realize you can't post the db since the back end is SQL Server, but how about a screen shot of the results you're seeing?
Unfortunately I'm not able to share any of the data. It's PHI so I'm limited in what I can provide. We're fairly puzzled on our end as well. And again, the stranger part is that running a direct SQL query yields the correct results.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #15
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,707 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough

You already posted the SQL of the non working code - surely you can post the SQL that worked on the Server? We don't need or want to see the data just the query that worked.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter , odbc , query , sql

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: