Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > Site Suggestions

Old 06-06-2018, 04:18 AM   #1
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Thanked 1,887 Times in 62 Posts
Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future
Experimenting with less ads

I am running an experiment that will stop on Friday, where I am displaying a reduction in ads. Anyone noticed this?

Jon
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:26 AM   #2
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,017 Times in 2,744 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold
Re: Experimenting with less ads

No - but I'm currently a paid supporter so would it still affect me?

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Website links:

I know that you know that we both know nothing
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future

It shouldn't affect you as you will not be seeing many ads anyway. The test I am doing randomly cuts about 20% of the ads to improve the user experience.

Jon
Old 06-06-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,707 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough

Now that you have mentioned it - you're right, and it looks like a improvement from my perspective !

Edit - I'll be more specific I'm getting the odd one in posts but nothing like as many at the side and top of the forum, and I personally always found those the most annoying.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #5
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

For myself, I mentally block most adds so I really don't notice..

Unless an add does something to prevent a page from loading.

I also don't normally have the volume on so I don't notice most of the "Video" adds either.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #6
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,017 Times in 2,744 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

One of the reasons I became a paid member was to reduce the number of ads so I'm all in favour. I find them very distracting on several other forums where they aren't restricted.
One advert per thread isn't too bad. It's when there are multiple ads that it gets very distracting.

Also, nothing to do with the forum, I'm used to ads targeting things I've viewed or purchased elsewhere. But recently, there has been more than one case where ads have popped up for items my wife has purchased on her pc.
That really should never happen in terms of data protection and tracking.

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

I know that you know that we both know nothing
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:52 AM   #7
sonic8
AWF VIP

sonic8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I am running an experiment that will stop on Friday, where I am displaying a reduction in ads. Anyone noticed this?
Did you end the experiment prematurely?

I though, I noticed less adds the last couple of days, but it "feels" they are back to normal (higher) levels today.

I can't refrain from mentioning it again. I very much dislike the adds being inserted into the text area of the postings.

Its up to you to decided to use adds and how many of them, but they should not be mingled so tightly with the content created by your users.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:34 AM   #8
Jon
Access World Site Owner

We are split testing in this experiment, so sometimes you see more, sometimes less.

Jon
Old 08-17-2018, 04:03 AM   #9
aimprosoft
Newly Registered User

aimprosoft is on a distinguished road

I use AdBlock so ads don't disturb me ))

aimprosoft is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: