Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Queries

Old 04-17-2018, 05:06 AM   #1
mantas123
Newly Registered User

mantas123 is on a distinguished road
Post making a discount query based on repeated orders

Hello community, I am trying to make a calculated field that would give me a discount on repeated orders based on multiple I already have done a discount on large orders
here is the statements in my calculated fields:
Order Cost: [Quantity]*[Product Cost]+[fixed Delivery Cost]
Discount: IIf(([Order Cost])>100,([Order Cost])*0.1,0)
Total cost: [Order Cost]-[Discount]

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: png query.png (54.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: png query 2.png (8.5 KB, 16 views)

mantas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:16 AM   #2
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,704 Posts
isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light
Re: making a discount query based on repeated orders

Welcome to the forum
You have three choices

1. In your query field for discount, replace order cost with the formula used to calculate it.
Similarly with order cost and discount in the total cost field
2. Do each step as a separate query to ensure these are calculated in turn
3. Create functions to calculate each part and use those in your query.

Your choice. All will work.

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Previously known as ridders : Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
mantas123
Newly Registered User

am not sure I quite understood you there I am trying to add another calculated field which would give a 20% discount if a customer has made multiple orders.
I believe what you have told me is how to tidy up my 3 calculations into one for a discount on a large order

Old 04-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
isladogs
Part time moderator

isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light

Ah yes. Sorry about that.

I thought you couldn't get your query to work so suggested ways of doing so.
If it does work now without parameter popups then I'm surprised.

As for the repeated orders question you actually meant, you will need to provide more information such as how many orders and in what timescale are eligible for that 20% discount. If eligible, is that for any size order?
Also does the large order discount still apply?

Whatever your answers to questions like that, I think you will need a vba procedure which basically says

If customer eligible for repeat order discount, then
......run a query or some code
Else if eligible for large order discount then
....run the original query or some other code
Else
....no discount applies
End if

Website links:

Colin
Previously known as ridders : Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
Old 04-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,384 Times in 3,279 Posts
CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice

Quote:
I am trying to add another calculated field which would give a 20% discount
to be clear, you mean a calculated column in a query? or a calculated control in a form? or a calculated field in a table?

Describe your calculation. Your description refers to a multiple but then not used.

At the moment best I can suggest is using the dcount function

DiscountPC:iif(dcount("*","tblOrders","CustID=" & custID)>3, 0.2, 0)
CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
mantas123
Newly Registered User

I basically want an if statement that says something like this: if customerID is repeated 2 or more times then discount = 20%
there is no timescale or sizes this is not for a real business it is a school project so it doesn't have to be complex
Old 04-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #7
isladogs
Part time moderator

In that case, just combine the ideas from my post & CJ London's

As it's a school project, it is important that you develop the final solution from here

Website links:

Colin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: