Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Queries

Old 04-17-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
AOB
Newly Registered User

AOB is on a distinguished road
Delete all but most recent record per user (AC2013)

Hi guys,

I have a table of records, multiple fields but key fields here are a UserID (Text) and a Login timestamp (Date/Time). A UserID may appear across multiple records (different devices).

I want to run a delete query that deletes all but the most recent record for each distinct UserID, based on the Login timestamp.

i.e. If a particular UserID appears 5 times in the table, delete the 4 oldest records according to the Login timestamp and retain just the most recent record. If a UserID appears just once, simply retain that record.

I've been messing with ranks and self joins and either my subquery is returning the wrong subset of data or the engine simply won't allow the operation at all.

I'm pretty sure this should be straightforward enough but I can't figure it out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

AOB

Old 04-17-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
MarkK
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,239 Times in 1,179 Posts
MarkK is a glorious beacon of light MarkK is a glorious beacon of light MarkK is a glorious beacon of light MarkK is a glorious beacon of light MarkK is a glorious beacon of light MarkK is a glorious beacon of light
Why delete this data? It is doing no harm in the table, gives you a historical record of usage patterns, and it's easy enough to query the table to find the latest record. If it not broken, don't fix it.
hth
Mark
Old 04-17-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
AOB
Newly Registered User

Re: Delete all but most recent record per user (AC2013)

Quote:
Why delete this data? It is doing no harm in the table, gives you a historical record of usage patterns, and it's easy enough to query the table to find the latest record. If it not broken, don't fix it.
A fair point, Mark, and duly noted, however let me explain...

The Access database I'm building is for reporting purposes. This is only a temporary copy. The main table (elsewhere) remains unchanged. Once the local table has been populated, there are a series of queries which need to be performed to produce the reporting output. To make these queries more efficient, I want to reduce the local data down to the bare minimum (we're talking a reduction from well in excess of 500k records to around 10k) In SQL Server, I wouldn't really care, but in Access, when the tables get bigger, the performance suffers. I need these reports to be zippy. I only need the most recent records - I don't want the others. Also, once this is finished, I'll be distributing the file to a number of people and I don't want them to have all those records either!

Hope this makes sense? Appreciate your point and normally that is what I would abide by but in this scenario, a "cleanse" will make life much easier from here on in.

Thanks

AOB

Old 04-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
MarkK
Super Moderator

MarkK is a glorious beacon of light MarkK is a glorious beacon of light MarkK is a glorious beacon of light MarkK is a glorious beacon of light MarkK is a glorious beacon of light MarkK is a glorious beacon of light
If it's just a one-off operation, delete them manually. No need to design a process or query to do so, but also, in an indexed table, I doubt that even in Access you could notice the time difference between finding a row in 10K or 500K records. Yeah, maybe a sort on a non-indexed field you would notice, but...
Anyway, just a few thoughts...
Mark
Old 04-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #5
AOB
Newly Registered User

It's not a one-off operation; I'm building the Access database as a quick tool for some folks to run some reporting on an ongoing basis. These reports will be refreshed / regenerated on a weekly basis. I don't want them to have to do anything manually, just click a button on a form and have the reports spit out quickly.

I don't want them staring at an hourglass for 20 minutes while my queries chug through half a million records when they're only interested in 2% of them?
Old 04-17-2018, 08:07 AM   #6
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,356 Posts
Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about

What doesn't a simple sort of

SELECT Distinct UserID, Max(LoginTimeStamp)

should return the last record.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minty For This Useful Post:
AOB (Yesterday)
Old 04-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #7
MarkK
Super Moderator

For a particular UserID you can get the latest RowID like this...
Code:
SELECT TOP 1 RowID FROM tYourTable WHERE UserID = 123 ORDER BY LoginTimeStamp DESC
Then delete all the row IDs for that user that aren't the one from the previous query...
Code:
DELETE FROM tYourTable WHERE UserID = 123 and RowID <> <the RowID from the previous query>
hth
Mark

AOB (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:13 AM   #8
AOB
Newly Registered User

Thanks guys

I'd prefer to just remove the redundant records entirely but I guess this will work for me

Quote:
What doesn't a simple sort of

SELECT Distinct UserID, Max(LoginTimeStamp)

should return the last record.
adapted to

Code:
SELECT UserID, Max(LoginTimeStamp) AS MostRecentLogin
FROM tblMyTable
GROUP BY UserID;

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: