Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > Site Suggestions

Old 06-27-2019, 01:52 AM   #16
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,671 Times in 3,539 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Return to Top

tell me about it

CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:01 AM   #17
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Thanked 1,894 Times in 64 Posts
Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future

Switching to a newer version of software, like Xenforo, is possible, but I looked into it. There were several site owners who said it trashed their traffic. So, am I prepared to take the risk of permanently destroying the number of visitors to this site? It is not an easy decision to make.

Jon
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:59 AM   #18
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,707 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough

Can you run a demo/test site in parallel briefly to see how e get on with it?

It must be possible to migrate posts over in this day and age, and also push google searches towards the new site / rename the new to the old ?

I'm guessing it's the latter that is the issue, takes time for the search engines to catch up with the move?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:15 AM   #19
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Thanked 1,894 Times in 64 Posts
Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future

You can migrate all the posts over and have all the same urls. But other site owners have had their traffic plummet. Not all, but some do. And many of them are permanently down in traffic.

I started a thread on this issue a couple of months back. Not sure if you can see the Customer forums but here is the link: https://xenforo.com/community/thread...enforo.163894/

In that thread, someone pointed me to this thread: https://xenforo.com/community/thread...o-urls.161923/

Jon
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: