Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 09-01-2019, 05:14 AM   #1
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo
Why most assholes are men

Men are more likely to be disagreeable than women

-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:59 AM   #2
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,725 Times in 1,596 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Re: Why most assholes are men

At least part of that talk made sense to me. When Dad passed, Mom was beginning to spiral downwards into the abyss of Alzheimer's Disease. I shouldered the burden of becoming my mother's caregiver. After she was gone, it took a while but I came out of the funk. After it was all done, I used to tell people "At least I can look at myself in the mirror and not flinch." Because for five years I had purpose and I performed that duty to its most bitter finale. I often told people (and still do) that my father gave me the toughest - but also the best - lesson on responsibility. He did so by dying and leaving my mother in need of care that only a family member would or could give.

Which in a way also explains my success with the Navy, since my position required someone willing to take a load of responsibility for a computer that was used to manage the lives of tens of thousands of Navy reservists. That machine HAD to be kept ready at all times, and as a result, I was on a 7x24 schedule of availability. Apparently they recognized my sense of responsibility.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough

That's the essence of it Richard, >>>"I shouldered the burden"<<< --- It's very easy to blame everything and everyone for your troubles and woes. On the other hand it's very difficult to shoulder the burden. Mind you, what is the alternative? If you don't shoulder the burden, then nothing happens, well not quite as easy as that! "Nothing happening" usually means you are spiralling into the Abyss. And it's a bottomless Abyss in the sense that you don't think things can get worse, but they do! In other words "nothing happening" means everything deteriorates.

|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about

This guy’s idea is lost on my son-in-law; that low life shoulders NO responsibility and self respect...runs from it in fact.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

It's off topic so I apologize ahead of time, but it is a characteristic of the phenomenon known as "deadbeat dads." And also the "wham, bam, thank you, ma'am" (a.k.a. "love 'em and leave 'em" types) who place women in the position of facing pregnancy and childbirth alone. Total failure to shoulder responsibility.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:36 AM   #6
vba_php
Software Engineer

vba_php is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gizmo View Post
does this stem from the fact that men run more of the political world than women? perhaps they are used to disagreements? or like them? can we also agree that even though men may be more disagreeable, women have always been tougher to figure out regarding their indecisiveness?
vba_php is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:37 AM   #7
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

The book "Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus" highlights the fact that we don't think the same way. But it is possible that this difference in thought patterns stems from structural brain differences.

The search I will describe is actually one I use for discussing homosexuality but some of the findings apply to this thread. Do a general web search for "Homosexuality + brain scan" and then look at some 1990s articles in UK medical journals regarding the use of Positron Emission Tomography (P.E.T. scans).

The part that is relevant to this discussion is that men and women have structurally different brains. There really IS such a thing as a "man's brain" or a "woman's brain." If the "hardware" of the brain is different, it would not be a particular stretch to suggest that at least some differences in thought patterns might emerge due to that evolutionary difference. No, don't ask me why it is so. I'm not an anthropologist.

The side reference to politicians liking verbal conflict reminds me of what my country aunt used to call "neuro-opto-rectitis". Perhaps one of these days we will re-discover that special neural link between the optic nerve and the anus, the one that gives people a crappy viewpoint. Or perhaps it is just that politicians spew so much verbal crap that they are compensating for atrophy of that particular nerve. (Yeah, I know I'm being unkind...).

But the brain scan difference is NOT a joke. It is very real. And consider homosexuals for a moment, people for whom the brain and body are not quite consistent. So gay men often tend to be nurturing and conciliatory while gay women are often angry assholes with tons of attitude.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:28 AM   #8
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
The part that is relevant to this discussion is that men and women have structurally different brains. There really IS such a thing as a "man's brain" or a "woman's brain." If the "hardware" of the brain is different, it would not be a particular stretch to suggest that at least some differences in thought patterns might emerge due to that evolutionary difference.
i was unaware of this. i might just look that up. But God could have been a bit more cooperative and given us women that were NOT so damn complicated and indecisive!
Old 11-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #9
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Thank goodness they are different from men! How the French put it:- Vive la Difference
|      
Old 11-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #10
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

Maybe Testosterone? Just a guess.
AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:10 PM   #11
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccessBlaster View Post
Maybe Testosterone? Just a guess.
testosterone vs. estrogen. the constant debate....which is more powerful?
Old 11-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #12
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

The testosterone vs. estrogen issue more often affects physical characteristics. Besides which, it is hard to separate cause and effect. However, never forget for a moment that the BRAIN is the most powerful sex organ. What the brain says to do, the body does. And that applies to sexual preference as well as being argumentative or conciliatory.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:50 PM   #13
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
The testosterone vs. estrogen issue more often affects physical characteristics. Besides which, it is hard to separate cause and effect. However, never forget for a moment that the BRAIN is the most powerful sex organ. What the brain says to do, the body does. And that applies to sexual preference as well as being argumentative or conciliatory.
I spose ur rite mr grandpa! 😀 uve got much more life experience than i do!
Old 11-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #14
ColinEssex
Old registered user

ColinEssex will become famous soon enough

Well I'm still trying to get over the fact that we have women bus drivers here. Actually, they're not too bad but parallel parking at bus stops is a bit iffy.

Col
Old 11-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #15
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinEssex View Post
Well I'm still trying to get over the fact that we have women bus drivers here.
I think there are women bus drivers everywhere. But just wait, it won't be long and there will be women priests in the catholic church.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: