Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 10-25-2019, 07:49 PM   #1
jimbo92
Newly Registered User

jimbo92 is on a distinguished road
Need "Select All Option" in Combobox for Query Parameters

I've seen this question posted elsewhere, but I can't make any of the answers work (I'm a beginner with Access).

I have a combobox that lets you select an employee, which gives the selected employee name as the parameter for a query. I want to have a "Select All" option in the combobox that tells the query to use all employees. This is my current Row Source code for the combobox:

SELECT [Employee Directory].[ID], [Employee Directory].[Employee Name] FROM [Employee Directory] ORDER BY [Employee Name];

I've tried a couple different solutions from other threads--including adding UNION--but can't make it work. I also don't know if code needs to be added elsewhere as well. How do I make this work?

jimbo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,389 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Need "Select All Option" in Combobox for Query Parameters

Hi. Welcome to AWF! Yes, a UNION query is usually the correct approach for this. But if you're not sure how to implement it, then the simplest approach is to leave the control empty to represent a Select All choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

Saying I couldn't get anything to work doesn't help. You should post what you tried so as to give some insight as to the table(s) involved. Also, you can't do this with a query because passing "Select All" to it isn't going to give you all employees, is it? So is the problem how to get Select All in the list, or is it how to get the query to work if you choose that value?

Old 10-26-2019, 12:11 AM   #4
arnelgp
error reading drive A:

Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,630 Posts
arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice

Code:
SELECT [Employee Directory].[ID], [Employee Directory].[Employee Name] 
FROM [Employee Directory] 
WHERE [Employee Directory].[Employee Name] = 
IIF([FORMS]![yourForm]![yourCombo] = "Select All", [Employee Name], 
[FORMS]![yourForm]![yourCombo])
ORDER BY [Employee Name];
Old 10-26-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
jimbo92
Newly Registered User

Ok, so here's more info about what I've tried.

I can get an (All) option to appear in the ComboBox with this code in the Row Source for the ComboBox:

SELECT [Employee Directory].[ID], [Employee Directory].[Employee Name] FROM [Employee Directory] ORDER BY [Employee Name] UNION SELECT Null as AllChoice , "(All)" as Bogus FROM [Employee Directory];

I can't make the query work though. I assume the query doesn't know what "(All)" means unless given more instructions. The code that arnelgp provided makes sense to me if I'm understanding it correctly, but where do I put that code?
Old 10-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #6
arnelgp
error reading drive A:

arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice

SELECT [Employee Directory].[ID], [Employee Directory].[Employee Name]
FROM [Employee Directory]
WHERE [ID] = IIF(Trim([FORMS]!yourFormName!comboName & "")="", [ID], [FORMS]!yourFormName!comboName)
ORDER BY [Employee Name]
jimbo92 (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

he is off line at the moment so I'll assume it's OK to answer on his behalf. You said you had a query - he posted what your query ought to look like if you have the combo working. However, it doesn't look right to me. I interpret the IIF as "IF the combo value is "Select All" then use the employee name. IF not, use the combo value. There is no employee named Select All.

As I said, I don't think this can be done in a query because in the case of an actual name, you need a Where clause. When it's Select All, you can't use a Where clause. IMHO the query has to be built in code to use (or not) the Where clause.
EDIT - forgot to mention that if your combo bound field contains Null because of your Union query, then no employee has an ID value of Null. Untested, but I see that as being another block to using a query.

The Following User Says Thank You to Micron For This Useful Post:
jimbo92 (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #8
jimbo92
Newly Registered User

Ok, been trying to adapt arnelgp's code and no luck yet. Here is the exact code I have currently for ComboBox Row Source:

SELECT [Employee Directory].[ID], [Employee Directory].[Employee Name] FROM [Employee Directory] ORDER BY [Employee Name] UNION SELECT Null as AllChoice , "(All)" as Bogus FROM [Employee Directory];

and the code for the Query:

SELECT [Employee Expenses].[Entry Number], [Employee Expenses].[Account Name], [Employee Expenses].[Employee Name], [Employee Expenses].[Work Date], [Employee Expenses].[Hours Worked], [Employee Expenses].[Pay Per Hour], [Employee Expenses].[Amount Due], [Employee Expenses].Notes
FROM [Employee Expenses]
WHERE ((([Employee Expenses].[Employee Name])=[Forms]![Main Menu]![EmployeeEntered]) AND (([Employee Expenses].[Work Date]) Between [Forms]![Main Menu]![EmpStartDate] And [Forms]![Main Menu]![EmpEndDate])) OR ((([Forms]![Main Menu]![EmployeeEntered]) Is Null))
ORDER BY [Employee Expenses].[Employee Name], [Employee Expenses].[Work Date];

With arnelgp's code for the query, it prompts me to enter a parameter value and the query doesn't work.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #9
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,072 Times in 2,790 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Last post was moderated. Posting this to trigger email notifications.

In the combo after update event, I suggest you use something like this

Code:
If Me.comboname.Column(1) = "All" Then
  'use query with no WHERE filter so all records are selected
Else
  'use query with WHERE filter for value in combo
End If

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)

Last edited by isladogs; 10-26-2019 at 09:42 AM.
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
jimbo92 (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #10
arnelgp
error reading drive A:

what is the Combo name and the Bound Column number?
Old 10-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #11
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,120 Times in 4,052 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

How about:

http://www.theaccessweb.com/queries/qry0001.htm

pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pbaldy For This Useful Post:
jimbo92 (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
jimbo92
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnelgp View Post
what is the Combo name and the Bound Column number?
ComboBox name is: EmployeeEntered

The Bound Column is: 2
Old 10-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #13
jimbo92
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
Last post was moderated. Posting this to trigger email notifications.

In the combo after update event, I suggest you use something like this

Code:
If Me.comboname.Column(1) = "All" Then
  'use query with no WHERE filter so all records are selected
Else
  'use query with WHERE filter for value in combo
End If
I've gotten a slight variation of this to work! Thank you so much! I was trying to simplify it, but what I have on the form is a combobox that selects employee, then two date picker fields for start and end date. Then I press a button that generates a report. So I created two queries like you recommended I think--one for if "All" is selected and one for if a single employee is selected. Then I added an IF macro On Click for the button that opens the query/report.

It all seems to be working for now. Thanks everyone for being so helpful!
Old 10-26-2019, 11:24 AM   #14
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,072 Times in 2,790 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Glad to hear you've got it working. We were all pleased to assist.

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #15
arnelgp
error reading drive A:

can still be simplified:

SELECT [Employee Expenses].[Entry Number], [Employee Expenses].[Account Name], [Employee Expenses].[Employee Name], [Employee Expenses].[Work Date], [Employee Expenses].[Hours Worked], [Employee Expenses].[Pay Per Hour], [Employee Expenses].[Amount Due], [Employee Expenses].Notes
FROM [Employee Expenses]
WHERE ((([Employee Expenses].[Employee Name])=IIF([Forms]![Main Menu]![EmployeeEntered]="(All)", [Employee Expenses].[Employee Name], [Forms]![Main Menu]![EmployeeEntered]) AND (([Employee Expenses].[Work Date]) Between [Forms]![Main Menu]![EmpStartDate] And [Forms]![Main Menu]![EmpEndDate]))
ORDER BY [Employee Expenses].[Employee Name], [Employee Expenses].[Work Date];

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: