Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Tables

Old 06-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
HuwGro
Newly Registered User

HuwGro is on a distinguished road
Convert Dates / Sorting

Hi,

I have 2 problems partly inter related. In a field (Rev) in a table structure where no actual rev was on the document I picked up from another access app the date. What I would like to do is change that from dd/mm/yy to yyyy (or yy)mmdd as a number.

Then I need to do something a bit weird.

I need to sort on this field so that letters fall below numbers eg. 2, 1, 0, D, C, B, A and then the converted date. The first part is hard enough the second I think near impossible and I may have to resort to a second field in the table for the numerical date.

All help appreciated.

Thanks

Huw

HuwGro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough theDBguy will become famous soon enough
Re: Convert Dates / Sorting

Hi. Welcome to the forum. In Access, it’s easier to combine things than to parse them. So, if you think you can use two fields, I’d say go for it, if it will help you do your job easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,376 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuwGro View Post
I need to sort on this field so that letters fall below numbers eg. 2, 1, 0, D, C, B, A and then the converted date. The first part is hard enough the second I think near impossible and I may have to resort to a second field in the table for the numerical date.
Your first sort isn't natively supported so you would be deriving another field just to sort it like that. Then the field for the modified date.

Your sort will be slow because every record will need to be read and processed. If it is a big table you may find it loads very slowly because all that processing has to complete before the first record loads.

If users are regularly subjected to this, it might be better to derive a value that can be sorted natively and save it when the records are inserted. An index on this field will allow the results to be sorted almost instantly giving your users a better experience.

Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:33 AM   #4
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,017 Times in 983 Posts
gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all

if you have a date in format dd/mm/yy - where are you getting dates with "letters"? Those are sort of regular dates, although access may not treat them as dates. They just don't have the century. There won't be any letters in them.

if a poster helps you, please click the scales at the bottom left of this posting, or use the thanks button alongside.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converting dates , sorting

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: