Reserved Error (-1517); there is no message for this error. (1 Viewer)

swhite

Local time
Today, 06:05
Does anybody know what this error message refers to?

"Reserved Error (-1517); there is no message for this error."

It just started happening today, and I haven't even made any changes to the database. It occurs when I hit a button I have to run a macro.

the macro does the following:
1) Shows all records
2) Requery
3) ApplyFilter.
The Where Condition for the filter is:
Right([tblContracts].[JobNum],4)=Right([Forms]![FrmContProc].[txtFindJobNum],4)

The weird thing is that it only occurs if the Form window is taller than 1/2 of my viewable area. If the Form window is 1/2 the viewable area or shorter, it works OK. This was running fine earlier today, but about 4:00 pm (03/31/06) this started happening.

If anybody knows what this error means, or how to get rid of it (I really need to use this window in full-screen) then please let me know.

-Thanks, Sean

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
What are the entire contents of the macro. Is it using passthru queries of any kind, etc?

swhite

Local time
No pass-thru queries. I wrote down the macro above, it's just the 3 commands, and the WHERE Condition for the Filter is there as well.

There is a second query below it which is not being called for this, but it's the same commands, just different WHERE Condition:

Right([TblJob]![JobNum],4)=Right([Forms]![FrmHold]![TxtHldJobNum],4)

Like I said, this is a really wierd error that only started since 4:00 pm on Friday afternoon. We've been using this database for a few years now and never had this happen.

Thanks,
Sean

swhite

Local time
Thanks for your help, but yesterday the problem just disappeared. No changes were made to the database, and the problem happened for the first few minutes, then no more.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:05
1. The reserved error simply means you have a missing reference of a more obscure type - a message-definition module somewhere.

2. The transient nature of the effect and your observation of window sizing as a factor suggests that it might be memory related.

Questions:

a. How many people saw this same problem?
b. If the answer to (a) is 1, how much memory do you have on your machine?
c. If the answer to (a) is 1 and (b) is less than 256 Mb, the next time this happens, check the size of your swap file.

("The next time this happens" is because "problems that go away by themselves come back by themselves.")

RCurtin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:05
Hi everyone,
I am getting the same error. It happened whenever I checked a checkbox on a form. This was working perfectly before. The checkbox is bound to a field in the underlying query - very simple and there is no VBA code attached.

I relinked the database to the tables in the backend and the problem went away but as The_Doc_Man points out it could come back again. There is just one user linking directly to ther database. The front end on her local drive is 2,500 kb and the backend on the server is 2820kb. She has 64GB of free space on her C drive.

I started to get errors a few days ago about 'unrecognised format'. Does this mean that the database is corrupt and could this problem be linked to that? When I get this error it is in the front end but it gives the filename of the backend of the database. Does this mean that the backend is corrupt or are both?
Many thanks for your help,
RCurtin.

RCurtin

Registered User.
Local time
Compacting and repairing database

Hi,
I've just spent all morning reading about corruption. I'm no closer to finding out about the unreserved error.

I did import the tables from the backend into a new database and used the Jet compact utility to compact it. It didn't give any errors. (I checked to see if there was a MSysCompactError table also and there wasn't). I changed code as well to make sure that that I set objects to nothing. So it looks like there is no corruption? Am I right in thinking that when the Jet utility didn't throw up anything?

Then I tried to use the JET utility on the front end but it just kept saying 'Error Compacting database' straight away. I did use thecompact/repair to do it and that worked fine. I tried importing everything into a new DB but had trouble as the code is password protected..

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
RCurtin.

RCurtin

Registered User.
Local time
Corruption in Front End

Does anyone have any tips?

Reverting to a backup of the front end is something I'd really rather avoid because I don't know when the problem started. The database has been crashing in the last week but I didn't realise that it could be that the database was corrupt. Another odd thing that was happening was when I put breakpoints in my code it was not breaking and stepping through it. It was like they weren't there. I realise now that editing the code while it was in break mode may have caused problems. So basically I didn't realise these issues were signs of corruption so have no idea when it started or what could be corrupt. How could I find this out?

Thanks,
Roseanne.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 12:05
Roseanne,
The error ( 1517) may come from an unvalid linked column ID in a linked
table. Try deleting and recreating the links, or alternately making sure both front and backends are compacted.
You can probably avoid compacting by deleting and recreating table links in many cases; this will clear cached info, obviously (since it is cached in the link).

RCurtin

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Rak,
Thanks for your reply.
That problem did go away when I relinked it. However I am still worried that the front end may be corrupted. (I am pretty sure that the back end is ok as I used the Jet compact utility to compact it and it didn't give any error).

How can I find out if there is any corruption in the front end? From what I've read it is better to deal with it as soon as possible or it could get much worse.
Thanks,
Roseanne.

RCurtin

Registered User.
Local time
Decompiling Front end?

Ok I have just decompiled a copy of my front end. It didn't give me any errors. Does this mean there is no corruption?

When I had decompiled it, I compacted it using the compact/repair in Access. The original copy was 2,608kb after being compacted.

The new one that I decompiled and compacted is 1,896 kb.

I will use this new one and see if it crashes again. Its just hard to know as the problem was intermittent.

What I would love to know is - is there away to tell if anything is corrupt???

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom