How to know the properties/methods of your Active X objects (1 Viewer)

BigJimSlade

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:18
Hello, Big Jim here:

I would love to know a way to view the properties and methods of an Active X component. Is there a tool that tells you what all of the properties are?

For example, I am using a Windows Media Player in a web page. I got it to work thanks to copy and paste. It came with many parameters, but I bet there are more. How would I know what all the parameters were to begin with (without going to help and looking it up)?

Thanks in advance,

Big Jim

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
You can view the full list here It has all the methods properties and events for wmp activex controls.
Here is the list of valid Param tags.
If you've copy and pasted code you'll know where and how to use them.:p

BigJimSlade

Registered User.
Local time
Minkey, thank you very much.

However, my goal was to figure out how I could access the Active X Object and retrieve the list without having to read a proprietary list. In other words, how did people figure this stuff out before it was plastered all over the Internet? Or is the help file the way it has to be done?

Ex: with the WMP, the only way to know the Param tag "playCount" exists is to go look at a help file, or can I access a list of Param tags from the Active X object itself?

Thanks!

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
You can view the code if you go to view > source (in IE) or right clicking on the object or in it's frame and view source (if the web page allows you to of course).

In other words, how did people figure this stuff out before it was plastered all over the Internet?
The majority of new stuff (tools, components etc.) are developed by coders and the controls are made publicly available as you could say it is part of the product albeit it a more 'advanced' part of it. There is no reason for say Microsoft to stop you knowing the controls for media player after all you are using their product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom