Networking question (1 Viewer)

Bee

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:16
Hi,

I am crab at networking. I have two PCs at home and want to link them together by a peer-to-peer network or any other network. I don't have a router. I only have a USB hub and some cables.

Do you think that's possible? Could anyone point me to the right direction please?

Regards,
B

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:16
crab ? at networking :D - I know what you mean.

USB is not designed for networking but you can use it if you have a USB bridge (this acts as a crossover). see an FAQ here

What is it you actually want to do ? do you simply want to share files between these 2 PC's or do you want both of them to access your internet connection ?

Bee

Registered User.
Local time
Minkey said:
crab ? at networking :D - I know what you mean.

USB is not designed for networking but you can use it if you have a USB bridge (this acts as a crossover). see an FAQ here

What is it you actually want to do ? do you simply want to share files between these 2 PC's or do you want both of them to access your internet connection ?
I was meant to say 'Crap' if that how it's spelt.
I would like to use the two for the internet, but if that not possible using the USB hub, then I would just like to share files.

Thanks,
B

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Today, 15:46
Not possible with what you have.
You need a network hub.

What sort of internet connection do you have? How is it physically connected to your PC?

Bee

Registered User.
Local time
Adeptus said:
Not possible with what you have.
You need a network hub.

What sort of internet connection do you have? How is it physically connected to your PC?
Now, I just have an external modem that is connecting internet to one of the PCs.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:16
You can actually setup a virtual network so you can access the internet from the 'slave' PC by using a USB connection but not with a straight through USB cable, you'll need (as I mentioned) a USB bridge (or bridge cable), this should come with software and drivers so you can install a virtual USB bridge here is a guide.

Again you can share files by this method but you don't need the virtual USB bridge, you can either set it up manually or use the software to install in 'link' mode.

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Today, 15:46
Minkey said:
you'll need (as I mentioned) a USB bridge (or bridge cable), this should come with software and drivers so you can install a virtual USB bridge
Or a network "crossover" cable, if both PCs have network cards (most have them built in these days)
Then you can use Windows network setup / internet connection sharing wizards to set it up.

Personally I would recommend a dedicated network setup, rather than trying to do it over USB.

Bee

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah, that's right. I just want to test my database over a network and see if it's working properly.

Thanks,

laptopfan76

Local time
Yesterday, 23:16
You can even go a step further setting up a wireless connection between your two computers.

Google the article "Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a Router". This Microsoft article explains how to create a network without the use of a router.

Hope it helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom