My validation rule is being ignored! (1 Viewer)

Fiona H

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:03
I have set up a validation rule "Is Not Null" in the properties field of my form.

I have added validation text that I thought would appear when this rule was not met.

The field in the table is set to required "No"

I have a macro which OnClick closes the form and sends an email and when I click it, it does close the form and send the email with no regard for the fact that the field with the validation rule in is blank.

If I change the field in the table to required "Yes" I get the standard error message boxes and the form shuts itself down.

Please would somebody help me? I am a complete newbie so I need real idiot proof instructions!!

Rickster57

Registered User.
Local time
contradiction

Aren't you contradicting yourself? You are saying that required is set to No which means a null value is allowed and then you are indicating that the field on the form can not be null?

Fiona H

Registered User.
Local time
I thought that the validation rule would force the field to be required even if it was not set that way in the table, am I being daft?

Fiona H

Registered User.
Local time
Turns out I was being daft, thanks everyone that looked at my post, sorry to have wasted your time!

yetstar

Registered User.
Local time
Hi all

I'm having this exact same problem - the form has a validation requirement of 'IS NOT NULL' yet when the user closes down the form it closes happily without showing my statement :mad:

The table field is set to not required, because there is an input form where the user inputs the initial info which doesnt require the field, and an update form on which I want the field to be completed.

The update form shows all of the information from the initial input, with the blank fields etc....it is these fields I want completed on the update form.

Am I being daft? :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom